Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Prince Harry And Meghan Reportedly ‘Watching Every Dollar’

    May 23, 2026

    Flick omits two Barcelona players from squad for Valencia clash

    May 23, 2026

    Review: Women on Trial – Cineuropa

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Ontario man charged in Ryan Wedding case to stay behind bars after losing bail review
    Canada

    Ontario man charged in Ryan Wedding case to stay behind bars after losing bail review

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 15, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Ontario man charged in Ryan Wedding case to stay behind bars after losing bail review
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 4 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

    A man accused of serving as the “de facto bank” for a violent criminal enterprise allegedly helmed by former Olympic snowboarder Ryan Wedding will stay behind bars after Ontario’s highest court upheld a decision to deny him bail.

    Rolan Sokolovski filed an application for bail review in March, asking the Appeal Court to consider his recent arthritis diagnosis as new evidence and arguing the judge who denied his release made several errors in law.

    Sokolovski, a 38-year-old jeweller and former professional poker player, was among several Canadians arrested last November in a U.S. investigation into a billion-dollar international drug trafficking ring allegedly run by Wedding.

    He is alleged to have played a key role by laundering hundreds of millions of dollars in assets through his jewelry business and securing luxury items for Wedding, who was taken into U.S. custody earlier this year after a lengthy manhunt.

    Sokolovski’s lawyers proposed to have him released under strict conditions including house arrest, electronic monitoring and four sureties.

    But the Appeal Court found no reversible errors in the judge’s bail decision and declined to admit Sokolovski’s arthritis diagnosis as fresh evidence, keeping him behind bars pending an extradition hearing.

    High risk that man could ‘abscond,’ judge says

    Defence lawyers had argued the application judge had erred in concluding Sokolovski concealed details of his financial situation, but the Appeal Court sided with the judge, saying Sokolovski’s “failure to provide a credible picture” of his finances gave rise to concern.

    “I agree with the application judge’s conclusion that the applicant’s lavish lifestyle remains unexplained, and the evidence amply supports that he is hiding his finances,” the Appeal Court judge said.

    “As a result, the risk that the applicant would abscond is, as the application judge concluded, very high.”

    A court sketch shows a man in a black shirt and suit jacket gesturing from behind a table.
    Rolan Sokolovski is pictured in a courtroom sketch during a bail hearing in January. (Alexandra Newbould/CBC)

    The Appeal Court judge was also not persuaded that introducing the arthritis diagnosis as fresh evidence would have impacted the outcome of the bail decision.

    “While this condition is likely painful, there is no evidence that it is debilitating or requires treatment that prevents flight,” the judge said.

    The court further rejected Sokolovski’s arguments that the application judge didn’t give enough weight to the fact that he had opportunities to flee before his arrest and didn’t take them.

    The application judge fairly assessed Sokolovski’s flight risk in the face of serious charges and a potentially lengthy sentence if he’s found guilty, the Appeal Court found.

    “What was previously a possibility has since become a grim reality. The application judge made no error in assessing that this change in circumstances augmented the applicant’s risk of flight,” the Appeal Court judge said.

    Calgary man also loses bid to over bail ruling overturned

    The decision comes as a Calgary man also charged in the Wedding case lost his own bid to have his bail ruling overturned this week.

    An Alberta judge had denied bail in February for Allistair Chapman, saying U.S. prosecutors have a strong case against him and releasing him would undermine the public’s confidence in the justice system. The ruling was upheld Wednesday.

    U.S. prosecutors allege Chapman helped arrange the killing of an FBI informant by providing the man’s photo to a co-accused and paying for it to be posted online.

    As the extradition process continues in Canada, authorities in the U.S. are preparing to bring Ryan Wedding to trial.

    The Thunder Bay, Ont., native was arrested in Mexico in January and taken back to the United States, where he was listed among the FBI’s 10 most wanted fugitives.

    The 44-year-old former athlete is alleged to have ordered the murders of several people, including a witness who could testify against him in a 2024 narcotics case.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Best running shoes: Top-rated picks for every runner and budget – National

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    How Montreal researchers are helping kids identify fake information online – Montreal

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Redblacks down Alouettes 27-12 in pre-season game – Calgary

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Woman presumed drowned in Kamloops, B.C., river identified as Kenyan immigrant

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Montreal lawyer denied bail on child luring, sexual assault charges – Montreal

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    3 clam fishermen die off coast of Savary Island when boat capsizes – BC

    May 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Prince Harry And Meghan Reportedly ‘Watching Every Dollar’

    News DeskMay 23, 20260

    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s finances are reportedly not in a great state, and it…

    Flick omits two Barcelona players from squad for Valencia clash

    May 23, 2026

    Review: Women on Trial – Cineuropa

    May 23, 2026

    Line-ups confirmed for Championship play-off final

    May 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    ‘More and more’ Americans in Europe look to renounce passports after fee cut

    April 23, 2026

    ‘Unexpected’ Bryce’s Nan Details How He & Isabella Reconciled

    April 23, 2026

    Kehlani Drops Full Tracklist For Self-Titled Album Landing This Friday

    April 23, 2026

    Sydney Sweeney Drama Deepens After Co-Star’s Criticism

    April 23, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Prince Harry And Meghan Reportedly ‘Watching Every Dollar’

    May 23, 2026

    Flick omits two Barcelona players from squad for Valencia clash

    May 23, 2026

    Review: Women on Trial – Cineuropa

    May 23, 2026

    Line-ups confirmed for Championship play-off final

    May 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Prince Harry And Meghan Reportedly ‘Watching Every Dollar’

    May 23, 2026

    Flick omits two Barcelona players from squad for Valencia clash

    May 23, 2026

    Review: Women on Trial – Cineuropa

    May 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.