Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Akon Brings Ne-Yo Onstage in Antwerp for a KONVICT Collaboration Moment

    May 18, 2026

    OSHA probing worker death at SpaceX’s Starbase site

    May 18, 2026

    Spanish king accepts Mexico’s invitation to a World Cup match

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»United States»Trial begins for ex-school administrator over role in 6-year-old’s shooting of Virginia teacher
    United States

    Trial begins for ex-school administrator over role in 6-year-old’s shooting of Virginia teacher

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 18, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Trial begins for ex-school administrator over role in 6-year-old’s shooting of Virginia teacher
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The trial of a former elementary school assistant principal began Monday in Virginia, with the ex-administrator accused of disregarding warnings in 2023 about a 6-year-old having a gun on campus that he later fired at a teacher.

    Ebony Parker faces eight counts of felony child neglect, one for each bullet in the boy’s gun, in the shooting at Richneck Elementary in Newport News that left first-grade teacher Abby Zwerner with gunshot wounds to her chest and hand.

    Ms. Zwerner survived the shooting, and Ms. Parker resigned two weeks after the January 2023 incident that stunned the nation.

    The boy told investigators he climbed atop a dresser and took the gun out of his mother’s purse. The mother, Deja Taylor, was sentenced to nearly four years in prison on child neglect and federal gun charges in the case.


    Police respond to a shooting at Richneck Elementary School, Friday, Jan. 6, 2023, in Newport News, Va. A shooting at a Virginia elementary school sent a teacher to the hospital and ended with “an individual” in custody Friday, police and …


    Police respond to a shooting at …

    more >

    The outcome of Ms. Zwerner’s civil trial last year may offer some insight about how Ms. Parker’s criminal trial will proceed.

    Two teachers testified at the civil trial that students had alerted them about the boy having a gun in his backpack. Ms. Zwerner’s legal team said one of the students told a teacher about the weapon after witnessing the boy pull the gun out of his bag on the playground.

    When the teachers shared that information with Ms. Parker, the administrator told them not to check the boy’s personal belongings.

    Police said the boy took aim at Ms. Zwerner around 2 p.m. on Jan. 6, 2023, and fired a single bullet that went through her hand and lodged in her chest.

    The wounded teacher helped evacuate her students from the class and later passed out in the school office from her injuries, according to court documents.

    Ms. Zwerner’s attorneys argued that Ms. Parker ignored school guidelines to look into the potential threat when teachers brought it to her attention.

    But Ms. Parker’s attorneys said she “did not have a legal duty to protect Miss Zwerner” and did not volunteer to protect her either.

    A jury sided with Ms. Zwerner and awarded her $10 million in damages.

    In the criminal trial, court documents allege that Ms. Parker “did commit a willful act or omission in the care of such students, in a manner so gross, wanton and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life.”

    The trial is expected to last three days. Ms. Parker faces up to 40 years behind bars if convicted.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    United States

    3 men have been killed at a San Diego mosque and both suspects are dead, police say

    May 18, 2026
    United States

    U.S. prosecutors drop fraud charges against billionaire Indian businessman Gautam Adani

    May 18, 2026
    United States

    Riders navigate alternatives as strike that shut down largest U.S. commuter rail enters a 3rd day

    May 18, 2026
    United States

    Judge allows gun and notebook as evidence at Mangione’s trial in UnitedHealthcare CEO’s killing

    May 18, 2026
    United States

    Supreme Court sends closely watched Native American voting rights decision back to lower court

    May 18, 2026
    United States

    Supreme Court rejects appeals from drug manufacturers over Medicare price negotiations

    May 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Akon Brings Ne-Yo Onstage in Antwerp for a KONVICT Collaboration Moment

    News DeskMay 18, 20260

    Akon and Ne-Yo performed together in Antwerp on Monday night during the Nights Like This…

    OSHA probing worker death at SpaceX’s Starbase site

    May 18, 2026

    Spanish king accepts Mexico’s invitation to a World Cup match

    May 18, 2026

    Roseanne Barr Goes Off Rails In ‘Drunken’ Rant Family Event

    May 18, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Orioles contact-less lineup tries for better results vs. Guardians

    April 19, 2026

    Nagi Notes – first-look review

    May 18, 2026

    Chrisean Rock Shares Emotional Update Ahead Of Boxing Match

    April 18, 2026

    Zack Wheeler On Track For Late April Return

    April 18, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Akon Brings Ne-Yo Onstage in Antwerp for a KONVICT Collaboration Moment

    May 18, 2026

    OSHA probing worker death at SpaceX’s Starbase site

    May 18, 2026

    Spanish king accepts Mexico’s invitation to a World Cup match

    May 18, 2026

    Roseanne Barr Goes Off Rails In ‘Drunken’ Rant Family Event

    May 18, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Akon Brings Ne-Yo Onstage in Antwerp for a KONVICT Collaboration Moment

    May 18, 2026

    OSHA probing worker death at SpaceX’s Starbase site

    May 18, 2026

    Spanish king accepts Mexico’s invitation to a World Cup match

    May 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.