Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Italian Authorities Shut Down Major Streaming Piracy Network

    May 23, 2026

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026

    Red Sox Making Trade Calls For Offensive Help

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»‘Most ridiculous ruling’: Premier slams judge’s decision barring region from clearing Kitchener encampment
    Canada

    ‘Most ridiculous ruling’: Premier slams judge’s decision barring region from clearing Kitchener encampment

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 22, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    'Most ridiculous ruling': Premier slams judge's decision barring region from clearing Kitchener encampment
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 4 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

    Ontario Premier Doug Ford says a decision by an Ontario Superior Court justice that prevents the Region of Waterloo from clearing the encampment at 100 Victoria St. N. in Kitchener is “the most ridiculous ruling I’ve ever seen.”

    Ford was in Sault Ste. Marie for a steel production funding announcement Friday just after noon when he was asked about the decision.

    Ford said he had spoken to regional chair Karen Redman and other local mayors Thursday night after the decision was released.

    “Don’t get me wrong. I have a great deal of respect for our judges … but he comes out with this cockamamie idea that they’re going to hold up … transit, for what, 30 people? They’re going to hold up millions and millions of riders, communities and everything saying you can’t go in there, you can’t touch them.”

    “I wish I could get that guy’s address. I’ll send 15 encampments in his backyard and see how he likes it. The craziest decision I’ve ever heard. But there are a lot of crazy decisions coming from our courts lately,” Ford said.

    Encampment timeline began 5 years ago

    Tents at the Kitchener encampment first went up in late 2021. The number of people living at the site has changed depending on the time of year, with more people there during the warmer months.

    The region previously tried to clear people from living at the site in 2022. In January 2023, a Kitchener judge ruled the region couldn’t evict people from the site unless they gave them another place to live.

    The region has argued it needs the property in June for Metrolinx construction crews, who will raise train tracks in the area ahead of the region building a new transit hub at King and Victoria streets. 

    In 2024, some mayors asked Ford to use the notwithstanding clause to clear homeless encampments.

    In June 2025, the Ontario government passed the Safer Municipalities Act with a goal of making parks and public spaces safer. At the same time, the province announced an investment of $75.5 million for homelessness prevention and to provide people living in encampments with access to “reasonable alternative accommodation.”

    WATCH | Kitchener encampment residents react after court rules they can stay:

    ‘A good feeling’: Kitchener encampment residents react after court rules they can stay

    Residents and advocates are reacting after an Ontario judge ruled that residents of a Kitchener encampment can stay. The decision, delivered Thursday at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, stated that the Region of Waterloo cannot remove the residents living at the downtown Kitchener encampment because it violates their Charter of Rights. CBC’s Carmen Groleau heard from residents on Friday.

    Region of Waterloo councillors passed a site-specific bylaw for the encampment site near the Kitchener train station in April 2025 and updated it this past January. It aimed to move people off the encampment site by April 1 this year.

    But on Thursday, Justice Michael R. Gibson’s judgment said the region cannot clear the encampment unless the region can house everyone who is homeless or creates a tenting protocol that would allow people to put up tents on some regional properties.

    Region reviewing judge’s decision

    In a statement to CBC News, a spokesperson for the region confirmed Redman spoke with the premier and other local municipal leaders Thursday night “regarding the court decision and the broader challenges municipalities are facing related to homelessness, encampments and community safety.”

    “The discussion reinforced the importance of co-ordinated support and shared solutions across all levels of government,” it said.

    “The region is reviewing the decision carefully, and will continue working with provincial and municipal partners on next steps that are compassionate, practical and legally compliant.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Brush fire breaks out in Maple Ridge forest

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Iran and US signal some progress in talks as Trump weighs striking again – National

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Best running shoes: Top-rated picks for every runner and budget – National

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Site C dam naming met with disbelief in northeast B.C.

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    How Montreal researchers are helping kids identify fake information online – Montreal

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Redblacks down Alouettes 27-12 in pre-season game – Calgary

    May 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Italian Authorities Shut Down Major Streaming Piracy Network

    News DeskMay 23, 20260

    The Cinemagoal app retransmitted content from major platforms like Netflix and Disney+. …

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026

    Red Sox Making Trade Calls For Offensive Help

    May 23, 2026

    McBurnie sends Tigers to Premier League with stoppage-time goal

    May 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Tyla Graces i-D Magazine Cover In Striking New Photoshoot

    April 23, 2026

    Michael B. Jordan Set For Film Version Of Iconic 80s TV Show

    April 23, 2026

    Geese reveal 2026 Getting Killed Again tour

    April 23, 2026

    Who Was Darrell Sheets? 5 Things About the ‘Storage Wars’ Star Who Died – Hollywood Life

    April 23, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Italian Authorities Shut Down Major Streaming Piracy Network

    May 23, 2026

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026

    Red Sox Making Trade Calls For Offensive Help

    May 23, 2026

    McBurnie sends Tigers to Premier League with stoppage-time goal

    May 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Italian Authorities Shut Down Major Streaming Piracy Network

    May 23, 2026

    Redblacks get strong quarterback play and other thoughts on Ottawa’s preseason win in Montreal

    May 23, 2026

    Red Sox Making Trade Calls For Offensive Help

    May 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.