Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Victor Lai wins bronze at 2026 World Badminton Championships

    August 22, 2026

    Bayern win Supercup, Inter make dominant Serie A start

    August 22, 2026

    MND Tutor | Gelman Collection

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»United States»Cyprus natural gas to supply Europe by first half of 2028, minister says, as EU seeks new sources
    United States

    Cyprus natural gas to supply Europe by first half of 2028, minister says, as EU seeks new sources

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 9, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Cyprus natural gas to supply Europe by first half of 2028, minister says, as EU seeks new sources
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    NICOSIA, Cyprus — European consumers can expect natural gas from an undersea deposit off Cyprus to help meet their energy needs as early as March 2028, the island nation’s energy minister said.

    Michael Damianos said the East Mediterranean is fast becoming an alternative energy source for European nations as Russia’s war in Ukraine and upheaval in the Middle East compel the continent to seek out new sources.

    Damianos said partners TotalEnergies of France and Italy’s Eni made a final decision last month to proceed with developing the Cronos natural gas field off Cyprus’ southern coast. The project will be the first time gas from east Mediterranean deposits is supplied to European markets.

    “It’s important for Europe at this time because of the war in Ukraine, because of this situation in the Middle East, that Cyprus is going to be an alternative source of gas,” Damianos told The Associated Press in an exclusive interview Friday.

    According to the Eni-TotalEnergies consortium timetable, work on a pipeline from Cronos to existing infrastructure at Egypt’s massive Zohr natural gas deposit 65 miles away will begin later this year and take up to 18 months to complete.

    Once that’s done, the gas will be conveyed to the Damietta processing facility on Egypt’s northern shore where it will be liquefied for transport by ship to Europe.


    PHOTOS: Cyprus natural gas to supply Europe by first half of 2028, minister says, as EU seeks new sources


    Piping Cronos gas to Egypt for processing was the most economically viable option, costing roughly $2 billion or half the estimated cost of developing other gas fields inside Cypriot waters because of its proximity to existing infrastructure.

    Although the agreement is for all of the more than 3 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of gas in Cronos to go to Europe, there’s a clause in the deal so that about a fifth of that amount could be used to cover some of Egypt’s domestic energy needs.

    “It’s a small reserve,” said Damianos. “Our income as a country is not going to be huge, so its importance is not the money, its importance the commencement of being a producer and having first gas.”

    Cronos is one of six natural gas deposits discovered so far inside Cyprus’ Exclusive Economic Zone off its southern coastline. Two of those, Glaucus and Pegasus, jointly hold an estimated 6.9 tcf. ExxonMobil and partner QatarEnergy, which were licensed to develop those fields, say they expect gas from Glaucus and Pegasus to start flowing by 2033.

    “What we can say that Exxon is the type of company that sticks by the timelines and sometimes delivers even earlier,” Damianos said.

    The energy minister said ExxonMobil plans to expand its exploration activities off Cyprus and is expected to receive an additional license to search for hydrocarbons.

    Another gas field – the first to be found off Cyprus some 15 years ago – is Aphrodite, which holds an estimated 5.6 tcf. Damianos said a final decision by a Chevron-led joint venture to develop the field is expected in the summer of 2027. A pipeline will link the deposit directly to Egyptian facilities to supply the country’s domestic energy needs according to an agreement with Chevron.

    Part of the Aphrodite field lies in Israeli waters and it’s hoped an arbitrator will decide the percentage Israel is entitled to by next month.

    A separate electricity project aims to connect to Israel

    Damianos also hailed the entry of French investment company Meridiam as a backer to the Great Seas Interconnector project, an electricity cable that will connect Europe’s power grid with that of Cyprus and eventually Israel.

    The ambitious project would not only end Cyprus and Israel’s energy isolation, but it would be an important building block for the IMEC initiative – a new energy and trade route to the Gulf and India that the European Union is pursuing.

    But the project is now tied up in red tape over its real cost above an earlier estimate of $2.2 billion. A European Investment Bank report that’s due in the next few months will offer clarity over its cost.

    That’s important for Cyprus because under an existing agreement, Cypriot energy consumers would have to put up as much as 63% of the cable’s construction cost, meaning a significant jump in electricity prices.

    Additional private investment is being courted to offset that burden on Cypriot consumers while additional EU funding is being weighed, said Damianos.

    The EU has already committed $760 million for the project.

    “It’s a very important project for Europe because it connects Cyprus which is isolated to the European grid. And the idea is to then proceed and connect to Israel,” Damianos said.

    Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    United States

    Texas judge denies Karmelo Anthony bid for new trial after dispute over testimony

    August 22, 2026
    United States

    Black bear dies after getting trapped inside car in Colorado

    August 22, 2026
    United States

    Passenger injured after laptop catches fire on American Airlines flight

    August 22, 2026
    United States

    Tropical Storm Moke advances toward Hawaii as winds strengthen

    August 22, 2026
    United States

    N.J. teen drops lawsuit against Facebook, Instagram that alleged online addiction

    August 21, 2026
    United States

    Trump moves to cancel American Bar Association accreditation of law schools

    August 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Victor Lai wins bronze at 2026 World Badminton Championships

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    Victor Lai (Griff88, Wikimedia Commons) Victor Lai of Scarborough, Ontario has won the bronze medal…

    Bayern win Supercup, Inter make dominant Serie A start

    August 22, 2026

    MND Tutor | Gelman Collection

    August 22, 2026

    Music fans gather to remember 10th anniversary of Tragically Hip’s final concert

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026

    In Awe: A Guide to Everyday Wonder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Victor Lai wins bronze at 2026 World Badminton Championships

    August 22, 2026

    Bayern win Supercup, Inter make dominant Serie A start

    August 22, 2026

    MND Tutor | Gelman Collection

    August 22, 2026

    Music fans gather to remember 10th anniversary of Tragically Hip’s final concert

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Victor Lai wins bronze at 2026 World Badminton Championships

    August 22, 2026

    Bayern win Supercup, Inter make dominant Serie A start

    August 22, 2026

    MND Tutor | Gelman Collection

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.