Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Copito de Nieve, el gorila albino que vivió en el Zoo de Barcelona durante 36 años

    August 22, 2026

    Rays To Activate Manuel Rodríguez

    August 22, 2026

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers waste brilliant start in loss to Elks (& 10 other thoughts)

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»ICE’s plan to give officers electric shock gloves draws outrage and fears of misuse
    CA Politics

    ICE’s plan to give officers electric shock gloves draws outrage and fears of misuse

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 12, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    ICE's plan to give officers electric shock gloves draws outrage and fears of misuse
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s plan to give officers gloves that deliver painful electric shocks faced criticism Wednesday from Democratic elected officials and civil rights advocates, who called it unnecessary and cruel.

    ICE plans to spend between $10 million and $20 million to outfit officers and agents with “conductive distraction and de-escalation devices,” according to a notice published Monday and revealed first by The Associated Press.

    The devices known as the G.L.O.V.E., which stands for Generated Low Output Voltage Emitter, are normal patrol gloves until an officer presses a button to activate its electrical mode. They must be applied directly to someone’s skin to produce a voltage that causes pain, which is intended to gain compliance from people who are resisting. Unlike Tasers, they do not leave burn or contact marks.

    New York AG says she is ‘outraged’ by plan

    The size of the purchase suggests ICE plans to give the device to most or all of its officers. The gloves have been used by local departments more often in jails than in the streets, where ICE officers have increasingly used force to extract people from cars and faced protests over their actions carrying out President Donald Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration.

    “We are outraged,” New York Attorney General Letitia James said at a news conference Wednesday, where she warned that ICE officers who misuse the gloves in her state could face criminal and civil consequences.

    The Department of Homeland Security, ICE’s parent agency, issued a statement that did not mention the product specifically or explain why it had been chosen.

    “ICE is constantly assessing the needs of our officers in the field to ensure they have the tools and equipment necessary to safely arrest and remove criminal illegal aliens from our country,” the statement said. “Every decision is made with careful consideration and appropriately reviewed to ensure that any technology ICE utilizes is consistent with all applicable law enforcement policies and standards.”

    Lawsuit alleges shocks from gloves contributed to man’s death

    While the devices are marketed as nonlethal and safe for the heart, a pending lawsuit alleges a 43-year-old man died in 2024 after he was shocked 27 times with the gloves and 13 more times by a Taser at a jail in Richmond, Kentucky. An internal investigation found two of the glove shocks lasted 45 and 99 seconds apiece — far more than the manufacturer’s recommended 15-second limit.

    “These actions not only inflicted unnecessary pain but also heightened the risk of serious health complications,” the investigation by the Madison County Detention Center found, according to court documents.

    An Associated Press review found two other lawsuits alleging injuries from the gloves, including a man with heart problems who was shocked at a Las Vegas trade show and a defendant who said he was laughed at after he was unnecessarily shocked in court. Both cases have been dismissed.

    Several Democrats in Congress, including Reps. Pramila Jayapal, Maxwell Frost and Delia Ramirez, said on social media that ICE did not need another weapon.

    “This won’t make anyone safer and in fact just gives ICE another dangerous tool to target citizens and immigrants alike,” Jayapal wrote on X, the site formerly known as Twitter.

    Former ICE leader, law professor worry gloves will be misused

    The manufacturer warns the devices should not be used against some populations that ICE agents routinely encounter: the elderly, small children, pregnant women and the severely handicapped. The device’s user manual also warns it should not be used in response to verbal defiance, or for punishment, torture or horseplay.

    “It’s too easy for this to get misused, against a population that doesn’t pose a threat,” former ICE acting director John Sandweg said Wednesday in an interview on MS NOW.

    The maker of the Taser recently phased out its drive-stun feature, a similar pain compliance tool that had been misused by some officers.

    Michael Mannheimer, a law professor at Northern Kentucky University who has written about police use-of-force and issues in federal law enforcement operations, agreed the gloves raised concerns about officers using disproportionate force.

    “One concern I would have is if ICE agents have this at their immediate disposal, will they use it more than they should? Will they jump over lesser force that could be appropriate and successful to attain compliance and instead use this first?” he said.

    The notice published in a DHS database indicated the solicitation for a no-bid contract to purchase the gloves could be released as early as Friday, and the contract would last through March 31, 2027. The founder of Compliant Technologies LLC, which manufactures the gloves, declined comment.

    ___

    Associated Press writer Claudia Lauer contributed to this report.

    Ryan J. Foley, The Associated Press

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    Canada vows dollar-to-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

    August 22, 2026
    CA Politics

    Trump threatens lawsuit against nonprofit that questioned whether National Guard plan lessened crime

    August 21, 2026
    CA Politics

    National park maintenance work sidelined as Trump’s Freedom 250 takes precedence

    August 21, 2026
    CA Politics

    Opposition grows to anti-Israel motion to be heard by Montreal city council

    August 21, 2026
    CA Politics

    Trudeau says Canadians must stay 'strong and united' in face of U.S. negotiations

    August 21, 2026
    CA Politics

    President Donald Trump announces plan to lower beef prices, but some Republicans are already balking

    August 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Copito de Nieve, el gorila albino que vivió en el Zoo de Barcelona durante 36 años

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    No fue el día de su nacimiento, pero la historia de Copito de Nieve empezó…

    Rays To Activate Manuel Rodríguez

    August 22, 2026

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers waste brilliant start in loss to Elks (& 10 other thoughts)

    August 22, 2026

    U.S. imposes 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products : NPR

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Travel Leaders Network: Listening, evaluating and helping members meet their needs

    August 7, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Copito de Nieve, el gorila albino que vivió en el Zoo de Barcelona durante 36 años

    August 22, 2026

    Rays To Activate Manuel Rodríguez

    August 22, 2026

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers waste brilliant start in loss to Elks (& 10 other thoughts)

    August 22, 2026

    U.S. imposes 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products : NPR

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Copito de Nieve, el gorila albino que vivió en el Zoo de Barcelona durante 36 años

    August 22, 2026

    Rays To Activate Manuel Rodríguez

    August 22, 2026

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers waste brilliant start in loss to Elks (& 10 other thoughts)

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.