Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Gunnar Hoglund Undergoes Season-Ending Hip Surgery

    May 20, 2026

    McGinn hails ‘proudest night of my career’ as Aston Villa end 30-year wait

    May 20, 2026

    2025-26 TV Show Season Ratings (week 34) – canceled + renewed TV shows, ratings

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»United States»Judge bars certain evidence from the trial of the man accused of sparking the deadly Palisades Fire
    United States

    Judge bars certain evidence from the trial of the man accused of sparking the deadly Palisades Fire

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Judge bars certain evidence from the trial of the man accused of sparking the deadly Palisades Fire
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    LOS ANGELES — Attorneys for the man accused of sparking last year’s deadly Palisades Fire in and around Los Angeles can’t introduce evidence or arguments at his arson trial about alleged negligence by the fire department in responding to an earlier blaze, a federal judge ruled Wednesday.

    Jonathan Rinderknecht, 29, pleaded not guilty to starting what became one of the most destructive wildfires in California history. Prosecutors say Rinderknecht started a fire on Jan. 1 that burned undetected deep in root systems before flaring back up a week later. The Palisades Fire began Jan. 7, 2025, and burned through the hillside neighborhoods of Pacific Palisades and Malibu, eventually killing 12 people.

    Rinderknecht’s trial is set to begin June 8. His lead attorney, Steve Haney, has said that Rinderknecht is being used as a scapegoat for the Los Angeles Fire Department’s failure to fully extinguish the earlier blaze.

    During Wednesday’s hearing, Judge Anne Hwang ruled that depositions by members of the fire department and a state park ranger cannot be introduced at trial because she thinks the information is irrelevant to the charges against Rinderknecht and could confuse the jury.

    The evidence that defense attorneys intended to use included testimony from a firefighter, fire captain and a state park ranger that the New Year’s Day 2025 blaze was visibly smoldering when first responders left the scene. That testimony was gathered as part of a lawsuit filed by fire victims against the city.

    Hwang also barred prosecutors from introducing AI-generated images of a city burning that prosecutors said Rinderknecht created a few months before the fire.

    Haney said the exclusion of the ChatGPT images was important to his client because they are “very, very prejudicial” and taken out of context.

    Other fire department actions can be discussed, including its initial response to and investigation of the Jan. 1 fire that burned some brush. Haney said he plans to argue that the government does not have solid evidence linking Rinderknecht to that fire, and that first responders had heard fireworks in the vicinity of where the blaze started.

    An outline of prosecutors’ strategy – with details about the defendant’s alleged state of mind on the night before the first fire began – appeared in an April 29 pretrial memo filed by the U.S. attorney’s office. Prosecutors will claim he was upset that he didn’t have plans for New Year’s Eve and ranted about being angry at the world before the initial blaze was sparked.

    Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    United States

    Arizona executes inmate who set a man on fire, killing him, in 2002 attack

    May 20, 2026
    United States

    Study finds ‘no evidence’ of citizens taking jobs vacated during Trump deportations

    May 20, 2026
    United States

    Counterterrorism experts warn national security eroding 25 years after 9/11

    May 20, 2026
    United States

    Eastern U.S. sweats through another hot day before rain, cold move in

    May 20, 2026
    United States

    Virginia Gov. Spanberger vetoes cannabis retail bill, pushing legal sales into 2027 at earliest

    May 20, 2026
    United States

    Democratic-led states challenge the Trump administration’s new caps on federal student loans

    May 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Gunnar Hoglund Undergoes Season-Ending Hip Surgery

    News DeskMay 20, 20260

    The Athletics announced that right-hander Gunnar Hoglund underwent left hip surgery yesterday, specifically a hip…

    McGinn hails ‘proudest night of my career’ as Aston Villa end 30-year wait

    May 20, 2026

    2025-26 TV Show Season Ratings (week 34) – canceled + renewed TV shows, ratings

    May 20, 2026

    Demi Lovato Confirms New Tour Under the ‘It’s Not That Deep’ Banner

    May 20, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    B.C. lawyer says he’s ‘never seen this level of ineptitude and incompetence’ over DRIPA

    April 20, 2026

    Royals Place Jonathan India On IL With Shoulder Subluxation

    April 20, 2026

    Montreal Canadiens win first game of the 2026 Playoffs

    April 20, 2026

    Mexico’s visualization in the media

    April 20, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Gunnar Hoglund Undergoes Season-Ending Hip Surgery

    May 20, 2026

    McGinn hails ‘proudest night of my career’ as Aston Villa end 30-year wait

    May 20, 2026

    2025-26 TV Show Season Ratings (week 34) – canceled + renewed TV shows, ratings

    May 20, 2026

    Demi Lovato Confirms New Tour Under the ‘It’s Not That Deep’ Banner

    May 20, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Gunnar Hoglund Undergoes Season-Ending Hip Surgery

    May 20, 2026

    McGinn hails ‘proudest night of my career’ as Aston Villa end 30-year wait

    May 20, 2026

    2025-26 TV Show Season Ratings (week 34) – canceled + renewed TV shows, ratings

    May 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.