Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    3 keys to victory for Hamilton, Toronto in Week 12

    August 21, 2026

    Google will let you chat with Discover to customize your feed

    August 21, 2026

    Mom Christine Wonsley Notes His 19th Birthday

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, August 21
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»Legal activists trying to leverage N.S. tent ruling to broaden welfare benefits for homeless people
    CA Politics

    Legal activists trying to leverage N.S. tent ruling to broaden welfare benefits for homeless people

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 18, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Legal activists trying to leverage N.S. tent ruling to broaden welfare benefits for homeless people
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Activist lawyers are aiming to leverage a recent court ruling to dramatically increase income assistance levels for homeless welfare recipients in Nova Scotia who live only in tents, trailers or their cars.

    Dalhousie Legal Aid Service has prepared a guide encouraging the homeless to apply for expanded benefits after the court ruled that a Halifax tent dweller was eligible for enhanced income assistance.

    Monthly income assistance could rise from $410 to $738 for people living in tents, cars or trailers.

    The effort comes in the wake of a decision from Chief Justice Michael Wood of the province’s Court of Appeal, who ruled earlier this month in favour of the estate of Bradley Lowe, a homeless man who died of an overdose in a tent in front of Halifax City Hall ten days before the Christmas of 2023.

    “When we’re talking about what has to be called an appalling situation, this decision holds the promise for them of maybe being able to live a little bit closer to the poverty line,” said Vince Calderhead, the Halifax lawyer who represented Lowe’s estate.

    The standard household rate for two people living in a tent or trailer could rise to $1,442 a month, according to Dal Legal Aid. People with disabilities could qualify for more help and get up to $1,022 monthly, the organization said in its guide for applying for more benefits.

    “Everyone with a disability may also get an additional $308 Disability Supplement,” according to the organization that does “community outreach, education, organizing, lobbying, and test case litigation to combat injustices affecting persons with low incomes and barriers to accessing justice in Nova Scotia.”

    The guide notes that Wood’s decision “does not apply to people living in shelters,” but that “it may apply to people who live in other owned accommodations such as vehicles or travel trailers.”

    It’s “hard to say” if people living in trailers will qualify for the larger payments, Calderhead said Monday.

    “You would need to show that it’s your accommodation and you own it,” he said.

    People living in their cars might also qualify, Calderhead said.

    “That’s their accommodation,” he said. “All of these are super pathetic, but that’s what they are.”

    The province, which has said its reviewing Wood’s decision, could rewrite the regulations “and re-define accommodation in a way that would exclude tents or cars or campers or anything like that,” Calderhead said.

    Undermining the judge’s decision by amending the regulations “would be a very cruel act toward people in poverty,” Calderhead said.

    “On the positive side, what the government should do is, in a kind of pilot project way is say, ‘Let’s see how this plays out’” when people have “an income that allows them to live with a bit more dignity.”

    Calderhead suspects the decision could apply to between 200 and 300 people in Nova Scotia’s warmer months, and “far fewer in the winter.”

    A spokeswoman for Nova Scotia’s Department of Opportunities and Social Development failed to answer questions before publication deadline about whether the province will re-write the regulations to exclude tents or attempt to appeal Wood’s decision to the Supreme Court of Canada.

    “A lot of people don’t appreciate the … extra costs that come with being unhoused,” said Mark Culligan, a community legal worker with Dal Legal Aid.

    “You often don’t have an ability to do laundry and so you need to get new clothes. You don’t have the ability to prepare your own food and store your own food, so food is often a challenge.”

     Tents housing the homeless in Victoria Park, Halifax, in October 2022.

    He spent last Wednesday visiting Halifax’s two designated encampments, informing residents they could apply for more social assistance based on Wood’s ruling. Culligan estimated that about 50 people in total are living at the two sites.

    “There are, in addition to that, people sleeping rough or in vehicles outside of the designated encampments, so it’s hard to put an exact number on it,” Culligan said.

    So far, he said Dal Legal Aid has helped a half dozen people apply for more social assistance on the basis of Wood’s decision earlier this month.

    “We’re not talking about that much money,” Culligan said. “We’re talking about $410 to $738 — that’s not a big bump.”

    Two months before he died, Lowe, who had been initially approved to receive $380 per month in income assistance, applied for the enhanced rate of $974 per month on the basis that he had a disability and owned his tent.

    But Lowe’s request was denied because he was deemed “unhoused” and therefore did not meet the eligibility requirements.

    Days after Lowe’s death, Nova Scotia’s Assistance Appeal Board dismissed his appeal. The case then went to the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia and, in May 2025, Justice John Keith dismissed the judicial review, finding the board’s decision unreasonable but ultimately concluding that Lowe did not meet eligibility requirements for the enhanced rate.

    The enhanced rate is for people including those with a diagnosed disability, a chronic mental, cognitive, or physical condition “that limits participation in employment services,” are 55 or older, between the ages of 16 and 18, or fleeing an abusive relationship.

    On Aug. 7, the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal ruled not only that the board’s original decision was unreasonable, but that Lowe met the eligibility requirements for enhanced rate assistance according to the province’s Employment Support and Income Assistance Act.

    “The court found that the hearing judge erred in interpreting the Regulations (of the Act), as the term ‘accommodation’ should include the applicant’s tent,” Wood wrote in his decision.

    He said that the Act “aims to provide assistance to those in need, including shelter,” and that Lowe “was entitled to Enhanced Rate assistance based on a proper interpretation of the Act and Regulations.”

    While Lowe had been camping on the grounds of Victoria Park, he died in one of the many tents pitched at the time in front of Halifax’s City Hall, about a 10-minute walk away from where he’d been sleeping.

    Wood ruled Lowe was entitled to the enhanced rate of assistance at the time of his application in October 2023. The judge awarded him $3,000 in costs.

    Lowe’s mother took up the legal fight after her son died, hoping to win some money for his seven-year-old son.

    “We were just really relieved that a struggle that had happened was finally vindicated,” Calderhead said.

    Wood’s ruling should add nearly $5,000 to Lowe’s estate, which will go to his son, said the lawyer, who took on the case pro bono.

    “I think he would be very pleased,” Calderhead said of his late client.

    “He would see this as a victory.”

    • Judge rules homeless man’s tent met accommodation requirements for enhanced income assistance
    • A tent is not an accommodation under N.S. regulations, judge rules

    Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.

    Cars Halifax nova scotia Nova Scotia Court of Appeal Overdose Tents trailers Welfare
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

    August 21, 2026
    CA Politics

    N.L. government announces Team Labrador to secure economic benefits from energy deal

    August 21, 2026
    CA Politics

    The Latest: Trump warns of ‘economic D-Day’ against Iran days before 6-month mark of war

    August 21, 2026
    CA Politics

    Kata’ib Hezbollah not on Canada terrorist list

    August 21, 2026
    CA Politics

    5 books to read this fall, from Marlon James to Joe Biden

    August 21, 2026
    CA Politics

    Canadian entrepreneurs are moving to US to start companies. Here’s why

    August 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    3 keys to victory for Hamilton, Toronto in Week 12

    News DeskAugust 21, 20260

    TORONTO — Round 2 of the Battle of the QEW goes Saturday night as the…

    Google will let you chat with Discover to customize your feed

    August 21, 2026

    Mom Christine Wonsley Notes His 19th Birthday

    August 21, 2026

    Chelsea confirm Stamford Bridge to host Shakhtar’s Champions League games

    August 21, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Travel Leaders Network: Listening, evaluating and helping members meet their needs

    August 7, 2026

    Guest post by Lorne Fitch: 20 reasons Albertans should be concerned about conservation

    August 7, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    3 keys to victory for Hamilton, Toronto in Week 12

    August 21, 2026

    Google will let you chat with Discover to customize your feed

    August 21, 2026

    Mom Christine Wonsley Notes His 19th Birthday

    August 21, 2026

    Chelsea confirm Stamford Bridge to host Shakhtar’s Champions League games

    August 21, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    3 keys to victory for Hamilton, Toronto in Week 12

    August 21, 2026

    Google will let you chat with Discover to customize your feed

    August 21, 2026

    Mom Christine Wonsley Notes His 19th Birthday

    August 21, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.