Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Rangers To Place Corey Seager On Injured List

    May 18, 2026

    ‘Game-changer’ Pep Guardiola reports leave Gary Neville in shock

    May 18, 2026

    Disney Faces A Class Action Lawsuit Over Facial Recognition Tech

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Manitoba lifts U.S. booze ban to sell off wines, liqueurs set to expire in fall
    Canada

    Manitoba lifts U.S. booze ban to sell off wines, liqueurs set to expire in fall

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 18, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Manitoba lifts U.S. booze ban to sell off wines, liqueurs set to expire in fall
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 4 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

    There weren’t any lineups but there were mile-long smiles from Winnipeggers who took advantage of another sale of U.S. booze at Manitoba Liquor Marts on Monday — the first time the province has offered it up since December.

    Unlike at Christmas, when the provincial government made a broad announcement about selling the stock, Monday’s sale was quietly posted on the Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corporation website.

    Tony Mariani heard about it through a friend who works at a liquor store.

    “So we figured, we like U.S wines, [might as well] come and get some,” he said after stocking up at the Ness Avenue liquor mart location. “And our premier has done some great things by giving the money to charities.”

    A sign in a white piece of paper is besides a group of bottles of wine.
    Manitoba’s government pulled U.S. alcohol from its store shelves earlier this year. (Ed White/Reuters)

    The provincial government pulled American liquor from its store shelves in February 2025, in response to tariffs on Canadian goods imposed by the United States.

    When it made the alcohol available to the public between Dec. 8 and Dec. 31 last year, lineups stretched out the doors.

    Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries has since calculated that it took in an estimated $6.9 million in retail value from the sale at its liquor mart stores and its various commercial partners.

    The money was given to various charities, including the Christmas Cheer Board, Harvest Manitoba, the Brandon-Westman Christmas Cheer Registry, Helping Hands Centre of Brandon, Boys and Girls Club of Thompson, and Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak Inc.

    The current sale is on wines and liqueurs that would otherwise expire in the fall and need to be destroyed, a provincial government spokesperson told CBC News.

    They have been discounted by 30 per cent.

    “At this time we do not expect to require any further sell offs, hence the term ‘last-chance sale,'” the spokesperson said. 

    A woman smiles outside of a store entrance.
    Faye Lambert bought 10 bottles of U.S. wine at the Ness Avenue liquor mart on Monday. (Ron Dhaliwal/CBC)

    The Manitoba government is once again donating the proceeds of the U.S. liquor sales to local community programs and initiatives, including food hamper and child nutrition programs, according to the notice on the MBLL website.

    “Perfect, then my money’s going somewhere good,” said Faye Lambert, who collected an assortment of 10 bottles of U.S. wine at the Ness liquor mart.

    She also heard about the sale through friends and was among the first at the store on Monday, not wanting to risk the disappointment of the December sale. She tried to go then but the lineup was way too long so she left empty-handed.

    “I didn’t know what there was so I just came in and started grabbing,” Lambert said about Monday. “There’s some pretty good deals. There’s a couple of pinot grigios that are one for $6-something.”

    The provincial spokesperson said the remaining stock of U.S. booze was distributed among liquor stores across the province.

    People are advised to check with their local liquor mart to see which last-chance items are available.

    The government will announce at a later date how much money was raised for charity.

    ‘A real loss’

    Eight of out of 10 Canadian provinces, and three territories, currently have a ban on the import and sale of U.S. alcohol and it’s making an impact, says an American professor who studies trade issues related to alcohol.

    “It’s been quite effective, from the perspective of producers. A half-billion dollars is a real loss,” said Andrew Muhammad, a University of Tennessee agricultural economics professor.

    The only exceptions in Canada for the sale of the U.S. products is Alberta and Saskatchewan, where some sales have resumed due to the privatization of liquor stores there.

    The ban by the rest of the provinces and territories erased $536(US) million in export revenue in 2025, according to the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States.

    Depending on how long it continues, the ongoing impact will multiply and could eventually make a permanent dent by altering consumer patterns, Muhammad said.

    If someone finds an alternative they like, they might not bother to return to the U.S. brand when — or if — it becomes available again.

    In the meantime, data shows Canadians aren’t drinking less because the U.S. tap was turned off. Rather, they’re finding it elsewhere, Muhammad said.

    “There have been increases in the Canadian market from sources other than the U.S.,” he said. “Obviously, it’s just one year … but there is some evidence that market shares are changing.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    5 dead, including suspects, after San Diego mosque shooting – National

    May 18, 2026
    Canada

    Police investigating suspicious death at Sunridge hotel – Calgary

    May 18, 2026
    Canada

    Canada catches fire in 3rd period to rout Denmark, remain perfect at men’s hockey worlds

    May 18, 2026
    Canada

    Justice Department announces $1.7B fund to compensate Trump allies – National

    May 18, 2026
    Canada

    3 off-duty Toronto police officers charged in Spain

    May 18, 2026
    Canada

    Bodies of 4 Italian divers found in Maldives sea cave, foreign ministry says – National

    May 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Rangers To Place Corey Seager On Injured List

    News DeskMay 18, 20260

    By Darragh McDonald | at May 18, 2026 4:40pm CDT The Rangers are going to…

    ‘Game-changer’ Pep Guardiola reports leave Gary Neville in shock

    May 18, 2026

    Disney Faces A Class Action Lawsuit Over Facial Recognition Tech

    May 18, 2026

    Gucci in Talks With F1 Team Alpine Over Sponsorship Deal

    May 18, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Orioles contact-less lineup tries for better results vs. Guardians

    April 19, 2026

    3 men have been killed at a San Diego mosque and both suspects are dead, police say

    May 18, 2026

    Bobbi Althoff Announces Surprise Comeback

    April 18, 2026

    Release Date, Cast, Plot, Trailer & How to Watch – Hollywood Life

    April 18, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Rangers To Place Corey Seager On Injured List

    May 18, 2026

    ‘Game-changer’ Pep Guardiola reports leave Gary Neville in shock

    May 18, 2026

    Disney Faces A Class Action Lawsuit Over Facial Recognition Tech

    May 18, 2026

    Gucci in Talks With F1 Team Alpine Over Sponsorship Deal

    May 18, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Rangers To Place Corey Seager On Injured List

    May 18, 2026

    ‘Game-changer’ Pep Guardiola reports leave Gary Neville in shock

    May 18, 2026

    Disney Faces A Class Action Lawsuit Over Facial Recognition Tech

    May 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.