Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The MND Quiz of the Week May 23rd

    May 23, 2026

    USS Ford finally comes home : NPR

    May 23, 2026

    Jimmy Fallon Turns to Tolkien with a Message Worth Fighting For

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Manitoba’s social media ban could bar teachers using YouTube in the classroom, says Kinew
    Canada

    Manitoba’s social media ban could bar teachers using YouTube in the classroom, says Kinew

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 16, 2026No Comments7 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Manitoba's social media ban could bar teachers using YouTube in the classroom, says Kinew
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew says his province’s ban on social media and AI chatbots for kids will likely bar teachers using YouTube in the classroom — a move that comes as the federal government continues to deliberate over whether to enact its own restrictions.

    “One of the examples people ask about is teachers using YouTube in the classroom. Is that going to be allowed? Right now I think my answer would be no,” Kinew said in an interview with CBC’s The House, airing on Saturday.

    “Even YouTube Kids has some of those addictive features like autoplay and the recommendation engine attached to them,” Kinew told host Catherine Cullen.

    The premier noted that if YouTube can create a version of its product without those features, it could be allowable “with supervision, of course, for a younger age group.”

    Manitoba’s social media and AI chatbot ban for kids, unveiled last month, would be the first of its kind in Canada. The province has said Manitobans can expect to see the first phase roll out in schools, like it did with cellphones in 2024.

    WATCH | Manitoba government vows to fight social media giants:

    Manitoba aims for first-in-Canada ban on social media, AI chatbots

    Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said social media platforms are ‘doing these very awful things to kids all in the name of a few likes,’ and he’s vowing to fight back by banning youth from using these platforms, along with AI chatbots.

    At the federal level, Culture Minister Marc Miller said last month that the government was “very seriously” considering a similar move, but no decision had been made.

    Miller’s comments came after Liberal Party members passed two non-binding resolutions urging the federal government to prevent users under the age of 16 from having social media accounts, and banning those same kids from accessing AI chatbots.

    On Friday, news outlet The Logic — citing unnamed sources — reported that the federal government is proceeding with restrictions on social media and is now debating whether to extend those rules to AI chatbots.

    CBC News has not confirmed The Logic’s reporting. 

    “Our government intends to act swiftly to better protect Canadians, especially children, from online harm. No decisions have been made and we will have more details to share in due course,” a spokesperson for Miller’s office told CBC News.

    What some kids think about a ban

    At Sacred Heart High School in Stittsville, a suburb of Ottawa, students have mixed feelings about what a ban on social media would mean for their lives. 

    Sasha, who will turn 16 in November, said a federal ban wouldn’t mean “too long of a wait” if it’s imposed soon, but she would “absolutely hate it” during the first month. Instead of a ban, she said she’d prefer better guidance from schools and parents.

    That said, Sasha acknowledged a ban would give her more free time to pursue her hobbies.”I might not have the same need to even use it again anymore,” she said.

    A young redhead girl
    Mya, who recently turned 16, says her parents restricted her social media access early, and that’s helped her stay focused on hobbies like reading. (Jennifer Chevalier/CBC)

    Mya, who just turned 16, said she grew up as if there was already a ban because her parents restricted her social media use. “I am just very grateful for it,” she told The House. “Kids my age will spend like six hours sometimes minimum on their phone a day.”

    She said she prefers to use that time to “plow” through books.

    “I read like 75 last year,” she said. “My screen time is really low, but it’s because I don’t have anything to do on my phone that’s worth my time.”

    But all of the students who spoke to The House and who use social media regularly said they oppose a ban, arguing the benefits of their favourite apps outweigh the harms.

    A young man with brown hair
    Tyler, a Grade 10 student at Sacred Heart High School in Ottawa, says he restricts his time on Instagram with a timer feature. (Jennifer Chevalier/CBC)

    Kashvi and Tyler, students in grades 9 and 10 respectively, agreed there are some harmful aspects, like shortened attention spans and cyberbullying. But used in a healthy way, social media can also help kids make friends, they said.

    “Are you going to ban skiing because some people go flying in the trees and crashing? Or should you teach that person how to ski and keep skiing legal, right?” Tyler said.

    Tyler said he uses Instagram’s timer feature to self-regulate the amount of time he spends on the app.

    “It was built in,” Tyler said. “I didn’t even have to go into settings to do it.”

    A social media company’s view

    Rachel Curran, Meta Canada’s head of public policy, said if the federal government proceeds with a ban, the company will comply.

    “We just don’t think a ban is the most effective way to get at the concerns that parents and policymakers are expressing, some of which are very legitimate,” Curran told Cullen. She added it’s incorrect to assume Meta wants the fewest restrictions possible.

    She pointed to Australia where restrictions are currently in effect, but children under 16 are circumventing age verification measures by using private networks, family accounts or filters to trick scanners.

    The Instagram app
    The Instagram icon is seen on the screen of a mobile device. (Jenny Kane/The Associated Press)

    According to a report from Australia’s eSafety Commissioner released in March, about three months after its ban came into effect, around seven in 10 parents reported their children still had accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or TikTok.

    Asked how, the most common reason cited by Australian parents was that the platform had not yet asked their children to verify their age.

    Curran said the industry at large has a challenge with age verification, and said Meta uses a combination of AI technology and identification documents to accurately determine users’ ages.

    “But the technology on age verification is only so good, and it’s not improving rapidly enough to ensure that we can really accurately verify the age that a user is,” she explained.

    WATCH | Is Australia’s social media ban for kids working?:

    Is Australia’s social media ban for kids working — and is Canada next?

    Months after Australia brought in the world’s first social media ban for users under 16, CBC’s Deana Sumanac-Johnson goes there to talk to parents and kids about how it’s working and examines the growing global momentum, including in Canada, to implement similar laws.

    Curran suggested the federal government could instead pursue ban on a wide range of apps for kids under 13 or 14, and set incremental protections for older teens.

    “So you could do this sort of tiered age protection that allows teens incrementally more responsibility and independence, while providing parents with controls that they can use as appropriate,” she suggested.

    Manitoba proceeding regardless

    In his interview, Kinew said if the federal government announces its own restrictions, Manitoba will still proceed with its vision but would “very much work” with Ottawa.

    “We have a moral responsibility as a government to protect children in Manitoba from what is … very clearly understood as a big source of harm — broadly in our society, but also very specifically with young people,” Kinew said.

    Regarding age verification technology, Kinew said the province does not want a ban to be “a back-door way for Meta to hoover up all of the private information of our kids.”

    WATCH | Canada ‘very seriously’ considering social media, AI age restrictions, says Miller:

    Canada ‘very seriously’ considering social media, AI age restrictions, Miller says

    Minister of Canadian Identity and Culture Marc Miller said the federal government is ‘very seriously’ considering a restriction on young Canadians’ access to social media and artificial intelligence chatbots. At its national convention on Saturday, the Liberal Party of Canada agreed on a non-binding resolution to set 16 as the age of majority for Canadians’ social media use.

    “Our kids are not for sale,” Kinew said. “Their childhoods are not data points to be commodified and add another billion to Mark Zuckerberg or Elon Musk or … Sam Altman’s big pile of money.”

    Curran denies profit is what’s driving Meta on this file.

    “We are as interested, if not more interested than the government, in safe, positive experiences for youth on our platforms,” Curran said. “It is not good for our business if teens, if youth are not having good experiences online and on our platforms. So we share that objective, and I think we can work together towards achieving that.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Redblacks down Alouettes 27-12 in pre-season game – Calgary

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Woman presumed drowned in Kamloops, B.C., river identified as Kenyan immigrant

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Montreal lawyer denied bail on child luring, sexual assault charges – Montreal

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    3 clam fishermen die off coast of Savary Island when boat capsizes – BC

    May 23, 2026
    Canada

    Quebecer graduating from Polytechnique with service dog who attended every class – Montreal

    May 22, 2026
    Canada

    Edmonton dog owner found guilty in fatal dog attack that killed 11-year-old boy

    May 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    The MND Quiz of the Week May 23rd

    News DeskMay 23, 20260

    What’s been going on in the news this week? Our weekly quiz is here to…

    USS Ford finally comes home : NPR

    May 23, 2026

    Jimmy Fallon Turns to Tolkien with a Message Worth Fighting For

    May 23, 2026

    WATCH: Actress Sana Makbul expresses interest in dating cricketer Shreyas Iyer

    May 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Ontario solicitor general sought 3-row, 8-seat replacement after vehicle stolen

    April 23, 2026

    Skincare Firm Galderma Posts 25.5 Percent Sales Jump Driven by US Market

    April 23, 2026

    Inconcert nombra a Álvaro Grande como nuevo CEO

    April 23, 2026

    VdR-Industry hands out over €80,000 in prizes across 12 projects

    April 23, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    The MND Quiz of the Week May 23rd

    May 23, 2026

    USS Ford finally comes home : NPR

    May 23, 2026

    Jimmy Fallon Turns to Tolkien with a Message Worth Fighting For

    May 23, 2026

    WATCH: Actress Sana Makbul expresses interest in dating cricketer Shreyas Iyer

    May 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    The MND Quiz of the Week May 23rd

    May 23, 2026

    USS Ford finally comes home : NPR

    May 23, 2026

    Jimmy Fallon Turns to Tolkien with a Message Worth Fighting For

    May 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.