Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Fans Debate Who Baby Noah Resembles

    August 23, 2026

    Mystery man ‘Lucky’ found in Amsterdam is not missing person from B.C.: police

    August 23, 2026

    Larry The Cable Guy Rushed To Hospital For Emergency Surgery

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, August 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Trump says Canada wants ‘benefit’ of U.S. state without being one as trade war escalates – National
    Canada

    Trump says Canada wants ‘benefit’ of U.S. state without being one as trade war escalates – National

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 23, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Trump says Canada wants ‘benefit’ of U.S. state without being one as trade war escalates - National
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    U.S. President Donald Trump appeared to revive his “51st state” rhetoric early Sunday as he made his first comments on the collapse of trade talks between Canada and the United States.

    “Canada wants the benefits of being a State, without being one!!!” Trump wrote in a post on his social platform Truth Social. “They have charged our great farmers, for many years, massive amounts of Tariffs. No more!!! President DJT.”

    On Friday, Trump expressed confidence a deal would be reached before the deadline for the talks, which he had extended earlier in the week to Saturday.

    Hours later, Prime Minister Mark Carney called back his negotiators from Washington, D.C. and said Canada would match Trump’s 50 per cent tariffs “dollar-for-dollar” in industries such as steel and dairy.

    “We cannot accept what they’ve offered, and we will not give what they asked,” Carney said.

    Story continues below advertisement

    In a readout from the prime minister’s office, Carney said the retaliatory tariffs would take effect on Sept. 8, the Tuesday after Labour Day.

    The details of what was offered or asked for at the 11th hour by either side has been relatively limited, but on Saturday Carney outlined three issues he said torpedoed the negotiations.

    Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

    Get daily National news

    Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

    The prime minister said while there had been progress on an approach to auto tariffs, medium and heavy vehicles like trucks were not included.

    Carney said the U.S. was only willing to agree to a trade deal on cars and would not extend it to larger vehicles, which would impact plants like Ford Motor in Oakville.


    Click to play video: 'Canadian premiers show united front as trade talks with US collapse'

    2:19
    Canadian premiers show united front as trade talks with US collapse


    A source with direct knowledge of the talks told Global News the U.S. could cut steel and aluminum tariffs from 50 to 25 per cent and auto duties from 25 to 15 per cent, with two sources saying softwood lumber was also being discussed.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Carney’s decision to walk away from the table also centred around the U.S. wanting to include terms that would put limits on trade deals Canada could seek with other countries.


    The condition may have jeopardized recent deals with Indonesia and the United Arab Emirates, as well as talks with India. The prime minister’s office has touted Carney’s record on trade, saying his leadership group has made 20 deals since the Liberal Party formed a government in the spring of 2025.

    “We believe in free trade; we’re the partner of choice in many respects for countries around the world, and the Americans wanted to restrict that. They had language that they wanted to restrict. Unacceptable,” Carney said Saturday.

    French language rules were the third factor to derail talks, with Carney saying in French there were “threats” from the U.S. in the deal over French language and Quebec culture, though he did not elaborate much further.

    The prime minister chaired a meeting of Canada’s premiers on Saturday, with a readout from the PMO saying he outlined next steps to protect Canada’s interests — including the Sept. 8 date for retaliatory tariffs. He also spoke about additional measures to support Canadian workers and businesses impacted, with details to follow in the coming days.

    “Prime Minister Carney underscored that Canada is strongest when governments stand together. To this end, he emphasized continued collaboration with provincial and territorial governments, noting that the Team Canada approach has been essential in navigating the challenging times since the start of this trade war,” the readout says.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Most of Canada’s premiers appeared to back Carney’s decision to walk away, with B.C. Premier David Eby saying he was in favour of a tough approach and Ontario Premier Doug Ford advocating for the “dollar-for-dollar, tariff-for-tariff response.”

    —with files from Global News’ Isaac Callan

    &copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

    canada Canada-US trade deal Donald Trump mark carney trade talks U.S. News
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Mystery man ‘Lucky’ found in Amsterdam is not missing person from B.C.: police

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    Bank of Canada concerned over private credit risks – National

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    Why are there suddenly so many data centres planned in Canada? Your questions answered

    August 23, 2026
    Spain

    Carl Wunsch, oceanographer: ‘The consequences of Trump are terrible. Funding is denied because, apparently, all of our research is a hoax’ | Climate

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    How content creators are boosting Saskatchewan tourism

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    Montrealers march to denounce violence against women after 2 killed in 1 week

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Fans Debate Who Baby Noah Resembles

    News DeskAugust 23, 20260

    Roomies, Big Sean has the internet gushing and dropping heart eyes after sharing some new…

    Mystery man ‘Lucky’ found in Amsterdam is not missing person from B.C.: police

    August 23, 2026

    Larry The Cable Guy Rushed To Hospital For Emergency Surgery

    August 23, 2026

    Miss USA, Miss Teen USA: The CW Drops Pageants Just Days Before Broadcasts – canceled + renewed TV shows, ratings

    August 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026

    In Awe: A Guide to Everyday Wonder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Fans Debate Who Baby Noah Resembles

    August 23, 2026

    Mystery man ‘Lucky’ found in Amsterdam is not missing person from B.C.: police

    August 23, 2026

    Larry The Cable Guy Rushed To Hospital For Emergency Surgery

    August 23, 2026

    Miss USA, Miss Teen USA: The CW Drops Pageants Just Days Before Broadcasts – canceled + renewed TV shows, ratings

    August 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Fans Debate Who Baby Noah Resembles

    August 23, 2026

    Mystery man ‘Lucky’ found in Amsterdam is not missing person from B.C.: police

    August 23, 2026

    Larry The Cable Guy Rushed To Hospital For Emergency Surgery

    August 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.