The United States says it is “pausing” its participation in the U.S.-Canada Permanent Joint Board on Defence “to reassess how this forum benefits shared North American defence.” Here’s what to know.
What is the Permanent Joint Board on Defence?
The Permanent Joint Board on Defence (PJBD) is the senior advisory body on continental defence. Composed of military and diplomatic representatives from both nations, it meets twice a year with locations alternating between Canada and the U.S.
Meetings are co-chaired by a Canadian and an American civilian, with military and civilian representatives of the U.S. Defense and State Departments, Canada’s Department of National Defence and the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, among others.
When did it begin?
The PJBD was established on Aug. 17, 1940, as part of the Ogdensburg Agreement between prime minister William Lyon Mackenzie King and president Franklin D. Roosevelt. This was during the Second World War, although the U.S. would not join that conflict for another 16 months, following Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor.

Why is the U.S. withdrawing now?
According to a statement on Monday by Elbridge Colby, who assumed the U.S. office of under secretary of defence for policy last month: “A strong Canada that prioritizes hard power over rhetoric benefits us all. Unfortunately, Canada has failed to make credible progress on its defense commitments.”
He added: “We can no longer avoid the gaps between rhetoric and reality. Real powers must sustain our rhetoric with shared defense and security responsibilities.”
He linked this remark to the transcript of a speech made by Prime Minister Mark Carney in Davis, Switzerland, this year in which he discussed the place of “middle powers” in the world and said: “If we’re not at the table, we’re on the menu.”
Trump reacted by sharply criticizing Carney, stating that “Canada lives because of the United States” and that Canadians should be more grateful .

Why was it started?
Timothy Sayle, a professor at the Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy at the University of Toronto, told National Post in an interview that the PJBD “was created at a time when the future of Britain’s place in the world was uncertain, and from the real recognition and realization by both Roosevelt and King that the Canadians and Americans needed to work together and formalize their relationship.”
He added: “Throughout the war this was a really important body for coordinating all sorts of aspects of wartime production, but especially defence issues, and why this matters so much for Canada is that it provided a formal body through which American requests needed to be made and then to be taken from the Canadian representatives on that board back to the government in Ottawa.”
What did it do after the war?
According to a background document from the Department of National Defence, the PJBD continued to serve as a strategic-level board charged with considering land, sea, air and space issues, including personnel and materiel required in defence of the northern half of the Western Hemisphere.
This has included construction of the Distant Early Warning Line, the North American Air (later Aerospace) Defence command in 1958, the underwater acoustic surveillance system and the North American Air Defence Modernization program in 1985.
“The scope of the PJBD’s work also encompasses policy, operations, financial, logistics and other aspects of Canada-U.S. defence relations,” the document states. “Bilateral defence recommendations are forwarded to respective Heads of Government or appropriate officials for consideration.”
When did it last meet?
According to a Defence Department document , the 242nd meeting of the PJBD took place on Nov. 13, 2024, in Ottawa. It was co-chaired by MP John McKay and by Rebecca Zimmerman, the U.S. Acting Assistant Secretary of Defense for Homeland Defense and Hemispheric Affairs.
Topics included NORAD modernization implementation, Arctic security, climate change, defence cooperation in the Indo-Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and critical minerals.
The board has not met in the past 18 months, a time period which coincides with Donald Trump’s second term as U.S. president. Trump has been critical of spending by Canada and other NATO members and U.S. allies on defence.
We can no longer avoid the gaps between rhetoric and reality. Real powers must sustain our rhetoric with shared defense and security responsibilities. 2/3 https://t.co/qpQ2guTwW8
— Under Secretary of War Elbridge Colby (@USWPColby) May 18, 2026
What has been Canada’s reaction?
In a statement on Monday , Defence Minister David McGuinty said: “Canada and the U.S. have a long history of robust co-operation and collaboration on continental defence.” He added: “Canada will work with trusted partners who are ready to work with us, always remaining ready to come to the table for constructive discussions about the best ways to strengthen mutual defence and security.”
Artur Wilczynski, a former Canadian diplomat who sat on the PJBD when he was Director General of International Affairs at Public Safety Canada, said on X : “The lack of joint coordination will affect the U.S. too. Bizarre decision by the Trump regime.”

Sayle echoed that sentiment. He said the necessity of the PJBD has waxed and waned since the end of the Cold War, but added: “If Canada and the U.S. are going to go forward to meet these geopolitical threats today, if they’re going to work on ballistic missile defence together, if they’re going to think about the future of NORAD together, this would be a key body to that.
“So it would seem like this is a body that could be very important right now, but obviously the Trump people are going in totally the opposite direction and suspending it.”
He noted that Canada had recently announced it had met its NATO defence spending target.
“And that’s what makes me wonder if this really isn’t about defence at all. The Elbridge Colby announcement about Canada not spending on defence just seems out of place. Maybe it would have made sense a year or two ago, but with what Canada’s doing, it just doesn’t make sense. It reminds me of the fentanyl excuse for the tariffs. I think there’s something else going on here.”
But Aurel Braun, a professor of international relations and political science at the University of Toronto, disagreed.
I sat on the PJBD when I was Director General of International Affairs at Public Safety Canada. I remember a visit to Colorado Springs for talks. The lack of joint coordination will affect the US too. Bizarre decision by the Trump regime. https://t.co/xk8U770vqK
— Artur Wilczynski (@Arturmaks) May 18, 2026
“The person who made the statement here is not Donald Trump, not somebody just shooting off the handle, not someone who is uninformed,” he told National Post. “This is a person who is not only highly educated but also has focused on the details of defence spending.”
He added: “What Eldridge Colby (is) saying is: This is a reality check, Canada. You have a prime minister who travels all over the world, makes these grand promises, but promises are not policy. Promises are not impressing Russia, they’re not impressing China.”
He noted that Canada’s boost in defence spending included increases in salaries and pensions, “which our armed forces certainly deserved, but that doesn’t put any tanks out or aircraft or submarines. And what does the rest consist of? Promises promises promises.”
He concluded, referencing Carney’s remarks about being at the table: “Canada’s not bringing enough to the table, not just in order to satisfy the United States, we are not bringing enough to the table in terms of our defence capacity.”
Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.
