Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ‘LIVE’ Kelly Ripa Recalls NSFW Behavior On Outing With Kids

    August 23, 2026

    What moving to Mexico taught me about life, money and home

    August 23, 2026

    Anthony Gordon makes instant impact as LaLiga champions begin campaign in style

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, August 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Congolese Montreal students face uncertainty over Canada’s Ebola travel restrictions
    Canada

    Congolese Montreal students face uncertainty over Canada’s Ebola travel restrictions

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 14, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Congolese Montreal students face uncertainty over Canada's Ebola travel restrictions
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 3 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

    A trip back to Kinshasa this summer was supposed to be a chance for Jonathan Likongo to see his family after two years of living and studying in Montreal.

    Instead, the Université de Montréal student decided to stay in Canada, worried that leaving could prevent him from returning.

    “I was supposed to leave, but out of an abundance of caution and prudence, I didn’t,” Likongo said.

    It proved to be the right move.

    In May, Canada introduced temporary measures restricting entry for certain foreign nationals from multiple countries in central Africa, citing the risk posed by the Ebola outbreak. In July, it went a step further, saying it would deny ⁠entry ⁠to ‌foreign nationals who had been to the ⁠Democratic Republic of Congo ‌(D.R.C.) within the past 21 days.

    The measures are currently set to remain in place until Aug. 29.

    Likongo, a member of the Congolese Students’ Association at Université de Montréal, says the timing has been difficult for students who had planned to travel during the summer break.

    “The illness arrived right in the middle of the holiday period,” he said. “Some people didn’t even know there would be all these restrictions.”

    Hundreds of students affected

    Universities across Quebec say hundreds of students could be affected by the measures, including people already enrolled in programs and students expected to begin their studies this fall.

    Université de Montréal says 170 students from the D.R.C. or Sudan have been admitted for the fall, while another 182 people from those countries were already enrolled in programs during the winter or summer.

    Université Laval says it has 240 students from the D.R.C., South Sudan and Uganda, including 72 newly admitted students and 168 continuing students. Université du Québec à Montréal says approximately 100 students are affected.

    The universities say they are working with students to prepare for different scenarios.

    At Université de Montréal, undergraduate students have until Aug. 29 to change their registration, while graduate students can begin their program later, within one year.

    Université Laval says students can have their situations assessed individually, with options including deferring admission, starting classes remotely or arriving after the start of the semester.

    Université du Québec à Montréal says it is also assessing solutions on a case-by-case basis.

    Waiting for what comes next

    For students still stuck outside Canada, the biggest question is: what happens after Aug. 29?

    In a statement to CBC, Health Canada says the government is monitoring the Ebola outbreak closely and is continually reviewing the measures alongside the latest evidence with international partners. It says it will determine its next steps before the existing measures are potentially set to expire.

    For Likongo, the uncertainty meant missing an important chance to see his family.

    “My family was devastated — both my mother and my father — because we were supposed to see each other this summer in Kinshasa,” he said.

    He says he hopes the situation improves soon.

    “We hope everything will be resolved in the coming days, and we really hope this disease will end so that we can see our families again.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Eastern Canada premiers renew buy Canadian calls as U.S. trade war ramps up

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    ‘We can’t run our businesses’: Canadian companies react to U.S. tariffs – National

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    Suspect in Fort Smith, N.W.T. shooting arrested

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from – National

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    Rare thunderstorm with lightning strikes wows southern B.C., causing havoc at Vancouver airport

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    ‘I didn’t think I could do it’: A 13-year-old N.S. girl fought a 711-pound tuna and won

    August 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    ‘LIVE’ Kelly Ripa Recalls NSFW Behavior On Outing With Kids

    News DeskAugust 23, 20260

    Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos’ three children are young adults now. Their sons, Michael and…

    What moving to Mexico taught me about life, money and home

    August 23, 2026

    Anthony Gordon makes instant impact as LaLiga champions begin campaign in style

    August 23, 2026

    Karlissa Saffold Seemingly Reacts To Blueface Replacing His Kids

    August 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026

    In Awe: A Guide to Everyday Wonder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    ‘LIVE’ Kelly Ripa Recalls NSFW Behavior On Outing With Kids

    August 23, 2026

    What moving to Mexico taught me about life, money and home

    August 23, 2026

    Anthony Gordon makes instant impact as LaLiga champions begin campaign in style

    August 23, 2026

    Karlissa Saffold Seemingly Reacts To Blueface Replacing His Kids

    August 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    ‘LIVE’ Kelly Ripa Recalls NSFW Behavior On Outing With Kids

    August 23, 2026

    What moving to Mexico taught me about life, money and home

    August 23, 2026

    Anthony Gordon makes instant impact as LaLiga champions begin campaign in style

    August 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.