Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Joseline Hernandez Breaks The Internet With Maternity Shoot

    August 23, 2026

    Elche v Barcelona: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    August 23, 2026

    Mariners To Place Brendan Donovan On 7-Day Concussion IL

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, August 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from – National
    Canada

    Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from – National

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 23, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from - National
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Conservative Party of Canada is urging the federal government to release the full details of the proposed U.S. deal that prompted Canada to walk away from trade negotiations.

    Shuvaloy Majumdar, the party’s critic for Canada-U.S. relations, wrote to Dominic LeBlanc on Sunday asking for details while underscoring his party’s support in fighting for tariff-free trade.

    “I am requesting that your government release the full details of the proposed deal from which you chose to walk away on Friday evening,” Majumdar wrote. “If there was a draft text of any agreement that both governments have seen, please release it. The U.S. administration has seen it. Your government has seen it. Canadians deserve to see it.”

    Carney withdrew his negotiators late Friday after he said the U.S. “asked too much and offered too little,” but the exact details of what was offered remains limited.

    Story continues below advertisement

    During a news conference on Saturday, Carney there were several outstanding problems Canada had when talks stalled.

    That included issues with the levels of auto tariffs, such as which vehicle types would be excluded from a deal, a last-minute addition of restrictions on Canada’s ability to strike free trade deals and efforts targeting French language and Quebec culture.

    Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

    Get breaking National news

    Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

    Some sources with knowledge of the talks that were held earlier this week told Global News discussions included lowering steel and aluminum duties to 25 per cent and auto tariffs to 15 per cent. Carney had also told premiers to prepare to return U.S. alcohol to store shelves, a sticking point for President Donald Trump. That won’t be happening now due to the suspension of trade talks.

    But there are still many other elements not yet known, including what either side may have proposed in those final hours.


    Click to play video: 'Did Canada make the right call in walking away from U.S. trade deal?'

    6:15
    Did Canada make the right call in walking away from U.S. trade deal?


    “They (Canadians) remain in the dark on the circumstances in which tariffs would have been lifted on many Canadian exports on which millions of jobs depend,” Majumdar said.


    Story continues below advertisement

    The MP for Calgary Heritage acknowledged the government did not provide details previously “so as not to tip its hand” to U.S. negotiators, but with talks stalled he said those concerns “no longer apply in this situation.”

    He criticized Carney, saying the prime minister had made “roughly a half-dozen major concessions” before heading to the bargaining table.

    “We are here to help and fight for a good result for Canadians,” Majumdar wrote. “But we expect the Prime Minister to be transparent and open with the Canadian people about what the President offered and/or threatened in these talks.”

    Global News has reached out to the federal government for comment on the Conservatives’ call for details.

    The federal government has seen broad support by politicians of all party lines since the decision was made to walk away. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre on Saturday expressed disappointment the U.S. had chosen to levy more tariffs.

    He added his party did not want a bad deal.

    “Canada cannot accept one-sided tariffs that will deindustrialize our country. Nor can we accept a bad deal. Instead, we must continue the fight for tariff-free trade,” Poilievre wrote on social media.

    Carney has promised to levy “dollar-for-dollar” tariffs to match Trump’s 50 per cent duties in industries such as steel and dairy.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Those counter-tariffs are expected to take effect Sept. 8, the day after Labour Day.

    &copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

    canada Conservatives Donald Trump Economy mark carney politics trade deal
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Suspect in Fort Smith, N.W.T. shooting arrested

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    U.S. politicians condemn Trump’s ‘chaotic’ trade war against Canada

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    Rare thunderstorm with lightning strikes wows southern B.C., causing havoc at Vancouver airport

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    Mystery man ‘Lucky’ found in Amsterdam is not missing person from B.C.: police

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    Trump says Canada wants ‘benefit’ of U.S. state without being one as trade war escalates – National

    August 23, 2026
    Canada

    Bank of Canada concerned over private credit risks – National

    August 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Joseline Hernandez Breaks The Internet With Maternity Shoot

    News DeskAugust 23, 20260

    Some family photos come with a little extra sparkle, but Joseline Hernandez and her loved…

    Elche v Barcelona: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    August 23, 2026

    Mariners To Place Brendan Donovan On 7-Day Concussion IL

    August 23, 2026

    49ers activate TE George Kittle (Achilles) off PUP list

    August 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Week in politics: primaries results, Iran pressure, Korean relations flip

    August 23, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Joseline Hernandez Breaks The Internet With Maternity Shoot

    August 23, 2026

    Elche v Barcelona: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    August 23, 2026

    Mariners To Place Brendan Donovan On 7-Day Concussion IL

    August 23, 2026

    49ers activate TE George Kittle (Achilles) off PUP list

    August 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Joseline Hernandez Breaks The Internet With Maternity Shoot

    August 23, 2026

    Elche v Barcelona: Commentary, updates, goals and stats

    August 23, 2026

    Mariners To Place Brendan Donovan On 7-Day Concussion IL

    August 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.