Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Despite surging peso, further interest rate cuts unlikely

    August 21, 2026

    Blueface Says Javaughn, Journey Replaced

    August 21, 2026

    Gouiri at the double as Marseille hammer 10-man Strasbourg

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, August 21
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»ES Politics»Malaga beach closures leave ‘negative image’ abroad
    ES Politics

    Malaga beach closures leave ‘negative image’ abroad

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 21, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Malaga beach closures leave 'negative image' abroad
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    HOTEL bosses have warned that Malaga’s international reputation has been damaged after a sewage spill forced six beaches to close during the peak summer season.

    The local town hall, led by right-wing Partido Popular (PP), ordered the closures after a violent storm overwhelmed Malaga’s sewage system on August 15, forcing engineers to discharge overflow into the sea.

    Levels of harmful E. coli bacteria spiked in Malaga’s waters following the incident, making it unsafe to swim at Campo de Golf-San Julian, Guadalmar, La Misericordia, Sacaba, San Andres and El Palo.

    READ MORE: Malaga reopens final four beaches to swimming as water quality returns to normal

    The closures came during Malaga’s busy Feria week, the city’s biggest annual festival, when thousands of visitors flock to the Costa del Sol capital for a week of celebrations.

    All six beaches have since reopened after authorities found E. coli levels had returned to safe levels.

    Malaga’s PP-led government has now come under fire over the closures, with critics calling for an overhaul of the city’s ageing sewage system amid concerns that further incidents could have severe financial consequences.

    Javier Frutos, president of hospitality association Mahos, said: “Undoubtedly, it is a problem for us. This has a major impact on Malaga’s image, and we are talking about July and August, the height of the summer season.

    “We depend heavily on a key market such as sun-and-beach tourism,” he added.

    “We hope whatever needs to be resolved is resolved, even though the beaches are open again.”

    Frutos went on to criticise the deterioration of basic infrastructure across the city, warning that problems with essential services risk undermining Malaga’s appeal as an international tourist destination.

    READ MORE: Malaga reopens two beaches to swimmers as E. coli bacteria warning keeps four more shut during Feria week
    Camp

    El Palo beach in Malaga.

    “Obviously, it’s a pretty negative image of Malaga, particularly abroad,” he said.

    The crisis has also ignited a fierce political row, with opposition parties accusing the PP of failing to properly maintain and upgrade the city’s sewage infrastructure.

    Yolanda Gomez, deputy spokesperson for far-right Vox, said her party had been warning about problems with the sewage network since 2024, arguing that the PP ‘cannot now simply blame a storm.’

    Meanwhile, Socialist PSOE spokesperson Mariano Ruiz Araujo called on mayor Francisco de la Torre to resign over the incident, saying the city’s water infrastructure was in a ‘critical state.’

    “The problem is not the rain, but a sewage network that is not equipped for the Malaga of today,” Araujo said.

    He added: “[De la Torre should] stop blaming other administrations, Malaga residents themselves and, on top of that, a sudden storm for his own inefficiency.”

    READ MORE: Malaga closed six beaches for swimming after wet wipe blockages forced release of raw sewage into the sea

    The town hall rejected the criticism, saying these overflows happen in almost every coastal town in Spain because pipes running along the coast carry both rainwater and sewage.

    Sustainability councillor Penelope Gomez said sewage was deliberately released into the sea during the August 15 storm to prevent it from flooding people’s homes.

    “If we didn’t let it out, the whole city would have flooded with dirty water,” she told Diario SUR.

    She added that more than 2,300 tonnes of wet wipes are pulled from Malaga’s sewers every year, clogging pipes at the exact points that then force overflows into the sea, at a cleanup cost of close to €2 million a year.

    The latest closures were the third E. coli-related beach shutdown in Malaga in less than a month, after the Pedregalejo and El Palo beaches were also affected in July.

    The August incident came after 18.5 litres of rain fell per square metre, with 14 litres recorded in less than an hour, overwhelming parts of the city’s sewage network.

    Operator Emasa says it plans to increase the proportion of the network separating rainwater from sewage to 70% by 2029, as part of efforts to prevent new overflows.

    Click here to read more Malaga News from The Olive Press.

    Beaches Closures Javier Frutos Mahos Málaga news spain newspaper psoe The Olive Press tourism Vox
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    ES Politics

    Sánchez has one year until Spain’s election deadline. The odds are against him. – POLITICO

    August 21, 2026
    Spain

    Andalusia’s rivers are being destroyed by tourism: ‘You don’t see anything, it’s all dead’ | Spain

    August 20, 2026
    Spain

    PP y Vox eliminan a las víctimas de violencia de género del protocolo de acceso a alquiler social en Valladolid

    August 19, 2026
    ES Politics

    How could Reform’s EU benefits ban affect Brits in Spain?

    August 19, 2026
    Spain

    Más de 150 asociaciones exigen que se juzgue como violencia de género el asesinato de una mujer trans en Marbella

    August 18, 2026
    ES Politics

    Brits in Spain face benefit threat under Reform UK plan

    August 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Despite surging peso, further interest rate cuts unlikely

    News DeskAugust 21, 20260

    The Bank of Mexico adopted a guarded approach in its Aug. 6-7 monetary policy meeting,…

    Blueface Says Javaughn, Journey Replaced

    August 21, 2026

    Gouiri at the double as Marseille hammer 10-man Strasbourg

    August 21, 2026

    Cardinals Place Andre Pallante On Injured List

    August 21, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Despite surging peso, further interest rate cuts unlikely

    August 21, 2026

    Travel Leaders Network: Listening, evaluating and helping members meet their needs

    August 7, 2026

    Guest post by Lorne Fitch: 20 reasons Albertans should be concerned about conservation

    August 7, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Despite surging peso, further interest rate cuts unlikely

    August 21, 2026

    Blueface Says Javaughn, Journey Replaced

    August 21, 2026

    Gouiri at the double as Marseille hammer 10-man Strasbourg

    August 21, 2026

    Cardinals Place Andre Pallante On Injured List

    August 21, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Despite surging peso, further interest rate cuts unlikely

    August 21, 2026

    Blueface Says Javaughn, Journey Replaced

    August 21, 2026

    Gouiri at the double as Marseille hammer 10-man Strasbourg

    August 21, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.