Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Lady Gaga And Fiancé Launch AI Skin Research Firm

    August 22, 2026

    U.S.-Canada trade talks have collapsed. Carney says these 3 issues torpedoed them

    August 22, 2026

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Sports»CA Sports»Edmonton Elks defend ‘concrete castle of the North’ with loudest statement yet
    CA Sports

    Edmonton Elks defend ‘concrete castle of the North’ with loudest statement yet

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 22, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Edmonton Elks defend 'concrete castle of the North' with loudest statement yet
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link




    Photo courtesy: Edmonton Elks

    For the past several years, Commonwealth Stadium has been the vacuous, crumbling ruin of a once-great empire. Organizational decay, pitiful football teams, and drooping attendance left it an echo chamber for faded nostalgia and modern melancholy.

    Not any more.

    The Edmonton Elks’ sudden return to the top of the West Division standings has breathed new life into the 48-year-old stoneworks, as well as giving it a new name.

    ↑ what lands at 3 p.m. daily

    3DownNation Newsletter

    Latest news, exclusive analysis, and more daily at 3 p.m.

    Latest news, exclusive analysis, and more daily at 3 p.m.

    Free. Unsubscribe anytime. By signing up you agree to receive daily emails from 3DownNation,
    as well as our terms of service and
    privacy policy.
    1900 Rose St, Regina SK S4P 0A9.

    ‘This is the concrete castle of the North, man, and that’s what we think, and we defend it as such,” Elks head coach Mark Kilam coined on Friday night. “You can brand that. Let’s start calling it that.”

    There was a promising crowd of 22,805 fans on hand to witness the Green and Gold’s latest home stand, a 22-19 walk-off win against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in Week 12. The team that, just a few years ago, set a record in North American professional sports for the longest-ever home losing streak is 5-1 at Commonwealth this season.

    The result didn’t come naturally to the Elks at times, as they were dominated in the first half and fell behind 16-0. They flipped the script after the break, holding their opponent to just three points amidst a surging comeback.

    “At halftime, there were some words said in that locker room, and guys came out fired up. It just goes to show the championship mentality that we have to not play our best ball in the first half, find a way to win a game against a divisional opponent,” quarterback Cody Fajardo told reporters post-game.

    “The first time we clinched a series against a Western opponent. This game had huge implications, so for us to find a way the way that we did, that’s what we do. We find a way to find a way. It’s not always pretty, but they don’t ask you how; they ask you how many at the end of the year.”

    After bludgeoning the Argonauts in a 30-point blowout the week prior, Fajardo proudly touted it as a “statement win” and insisted that it meant the Elks were a “great team” rather than a good one. It would seem he spoke too soon. The former Grey Cup MVP believes that result pales in comparison to what they accomplished against Winnipeg.

    “This says way more than last week’s win. Divisional opponent, a lot on the line. Us with a bye week looming. Sometimes your mind’s elsewhere. I’m looking forward to seeing my kids, my family. You’ve got to just put it on the line for 60 minutes,” he explained. “Started slow, but I think this will give us confidence going throughout the rest of the season and the rest of the schedule. I hope it doesn’t happen, but knowing that if we don’t play our best ball, we can get ourselves out of a funk.”

    The 34-year-old signal caller, who finished with a modest 259 yards through the air while throwing for one touchdown and rushing for another, said he challenged his team amidst a two-game slide to reach 8-3 ahead of their Week 13 bye. They’ve responded in a big way, ensuring the franchise will remain at the top of the standings during the break.

    While some may be wary of a 17-day hiatus killing their considerable momentum, Fajardo noted that the time away is badly needed. For weeks, the Elks have been fighting against challenges few fans recognize.

    “We played 10 straight, and we limped into this one. We have a lot of guys gutting through some injury things that just said, ‘One more game, one more game.’ A lot of guys, including myself, just finding a way to get through this game so that we can have those 17 days,” Fajardo said. “I think those 17 days are going to be a way for us to physically and mentally reset, just kind of recharge our batteries and come back for a really strong second half push of the season.”

    “These guys earned it, man,” Kilam echoed. “We went 10 straight with some short weeks, and even coming off of last week where it was a rebound week, big win total, and then you easily could have relaxed. Obviously, we were on our heels for 30 minutes of football tonight, but they’ve earned it. It’ll be a good reset for everybody.”

    The Elks (8-3) will return to action on Monday, September 7, for the Labour Day Classic against the Calgary Stampeders.



    J.C. Abbott is a University of British Columbia graduate and high school football coach. He covers the CFL, B.C. Lions, CFL Draft and the three-down league’s Global initiative.



    3Down 3DownNation Canadian CFL Cody Fajardo Commonwealth Stadium Edmonton elks Football league Mark Kilam
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Sports

    3 keys to victory for Saskatchewan, BC in Week 12

    August 22, 2026
    CA Sports

    Samuel Emilus, James Letcher Jr. return for Saskatchewan Roughriders in B.C.

    August 22, 2026
    CA Sports

    ‘It’s a great honour’: Ticats’ Kenny Lawler not frustrated by double coverage, stunted production in 2026

    August 22, 2026
    CA Sports

    Ben Johnson ‘encouraged’ by Canadian blocker Theo Benedet’s progress with Chicago Bears

    August 22, 2026
    CA Sports

    3 stats that defined Edmonton’s Week 12 win over Winnipeg

    August 22, 2026
    CA Sports

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers waste brilliant start in loss to Elks (& 10 other thoughts)

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Lady Gaga And Fiancé Launch AI Skin Research Firm

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    Lady Gaga and her fiancé, Michael Polansky, are expanding their partnership into biotech by investing…

    U.S.-Canada trade talks have collapsed. Carney says these 3 issues torpedoed them

    August 22, 2026

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    August 22, 2026

    Bari Weiss Has ‘Blank Check’ To Promote ’60 Minutes’

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Apple and Amazon users: Beware this new ‘unauthorized charge’ scam

    August 22, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Lady Gaga And Fiancé Launch AI Skin Research Firm

    August 22, 2026

    U.S.-Canada trade talks have collapsed. Carney says these 3 issues torpedoed them

    August 22, 2026

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    August 22, 2026

    Bari Weiss Has ‘Blank Check’ To Promote ’60 Minutes’

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Lady Gaga And Fiancé Launch AI Skin Research Firm

    August 22, 2026

    U.S.-Canada trade talks have collapsed. Carney says these 3 issues torpedoed them

    August 22, 2026

    Confirmed line-ups for Mourinho’s return to LaLiga

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.