Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ‘LIVE’ Kelly Ripa Recalls NSFW Behavior On Outing With Kids

    August 23, 2026

    What moving to Mexico taught me about life, money and home

    August 23, 2026

    Anthony Gordon makes instant impact as LaLiga champions begin campaign in style

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Sunday, August 23
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»CA Politics»Indian fraudster asks for discharge to avoid deportation from Canada
    CA Politics

    Indian fraudster asks for discharge to avoid deportation from Canada

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 15, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Indian fraudster asks for discharge to avoid deportation from Canada
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    An Indian man in Canada on a study permit is asking a judge for a discharge so he can avoid being deported , after being convicted of theft and fraud.

    Jins Joseph, who has attended school in Corner Brook, N.L. for nearly four years, was working as a butcher at a Dominion store when he defrauded the store of $2,700 by putting deep discounts on meat for himself, his friends and fellow employees.

    He was convicted of eight counts of fraud under $5,000 and one count of theft under $5,000 on July 24.

    Joseph’s lawyer, Adam Crocker, told provincial court Judge Wayne Gorman on Thursday that the conviction could affect his client’s immigration status. His study permit expires on Sept. 30, and he must leave Canada by then, but is waiting for the outcome of the case to apply for an extension.

    Gorman reserved sentencing decision until Aug. 20.

    Joseph said to the judge that immigration lawyers told him the chances of being successful are almost zero with a criminal conviction.

    “They said if that’s the case, you’re going to have to leave the country or you’re going to get deported from the country,” said Joseph.

    He said that would result in him being banned from the country for five-plus years. Joseph has a partner here and said he promised to give her a future and be a husband to her, and he doesn’t want to break that promise.

    He said he spent about $100,000 so far on his education.

    “If I have to leave the country, I’m going to have to restart my entire degree all over again, and that’s going to take away six and a half years of my time trying to prepare for what I’ve gone through to get to here,” he said.

    “I still believe that it’s just ill intentions of people that I’ve worked for, their personal trouble they’ve had with me, they’re trying to get me deported from the country.”

    Joseph came to Canada from India in December 2022 and began his studies in the Bachelor of Business Administration program at MUN’s Grenfell campus in January 2023.

    Joseph worked part-time at Dominion while attending school.

    While at work, he was caught on surveillance cameras multiple times changing stickers on meat so it was labelled as cheaper cuts. The incidents occurred between March and May 2025. The recordings were played during his trial and show Joseph and others purchasing meat that the Crown alleged was obtained by fraud and theft.

    Joseph testified that the store had cut his hours in order to “force him out” because he had threatened to complain to the Labour Relations board.

    He said he had proof the store was selling unsaleable meat to local restaurants and takeouts for a significantly reduced price.

    He also testified of seeing cancers and tumours in the meat and that he was told to remove them and still put the meat out for sale. He said he had videos of infected meat.

    As for the practice of discounting the prices, Joseph he conceded that he knew it was against store policy but testified that he had permission to take meat that would have gone in the garbage to help his roommates and neighbours.

    He said there was a store-wide practice for employees of purchasing or taking home free meat that was unsaleable, and that it was encouraged and known by management. Employees had to ask a manager or senior employee for permission, and Joseph said that he always did so.

    He also said none of the store’s policies were followed by the employees or management, and he provided meat discounts to everyone, including the store manager and every managerial employee.

    “All I’ve done was get products with permission to feed people that are hungry, that’d otherwise go hungry without my help,” he told the court. “I was trying to feed people that never had no job or any other opportunities to get any kind of employment.”

    Crown attorney Janet Coleman suggested an appropriate sentence would be a conditional sentence order of five months to six months less a day, to be followed by 12 months on probation. She noted that immigration consequences were relevant in sentencing consideration in other cases.

    Crocker suggested an absolute or conditional discharge would be appropriate in the case.

    He said a conviction “would likely derail” his degree, future employment prospects, eligibility for post-grad work opportunities and his continued residence in Canada.

    The judge said immigration status is subject to a hearing, and a criminal conviction is one of the factors that would be considered. “So, it is not an automatic sequence, conviction equals removal from the country,” he added.

    Crocker also noted that Joseph has found new employment which he hopes to continue with after he graduates.

    Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    CA Politics

    ‘Canadians deserve’ to know specifics of the trade deal Canada walked away from: Conservative MP

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    ‘Canadians deserve’ to see the U.S. trade deal offer Canada abandoned

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    Jared Kushner meets with Democratic leader Jeffries with House control at stake in November

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    U.S. politicians condemn Trump’s ‘chaotic’ trade war against Canada

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    Kelly McParland: Trump puts America’s rot on display

    August 23, 2026
    CA Politics

    Key points on the legacy of Treaty 6, first signed 150 years ago

    August 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    ‘LIVE’ Kelly Ripa Recalls NSFW Behavior On Outing With Kids

    News DeskAugust 23, 20260

    Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos’ three children are young adults now. Their sons, Michael and…

    What moving to Mexico taught me about life, money and home

    August 23, 2026

    Anthony Gordon makes instant impact as LaLiga champions begin campaign in style

    August 23, 2026

    Karlissa Saffold Seemingly Reacts To Blueface Replacing His Kids

    August 23, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026

    In Awe: A Guide to Everyday Wonder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    ‘LIVE’ Kelly Ripa Recalls NSFW Behavior On Outing With Kids

    August 23, 2026

    What moving to Mexico taught me about life, money and home

    August 23, 2026

    Anthony Gordon makes instant impact as LaLiga champions begin campaign in style

    August 23, 2026

    Karlissa Saffold Seemingly Reacts To Blueface Replacing His Kids

    August 23, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    ‘LIVE’ Kelly Ripa Recalls NSFW Behavior On Outing With Kids

    August 23, 2026

    What moving to Mexico taught me about life, money and home

    August 23, 2026

    Anthony Gordon makes instant impact as LaLiga champions begin campaign in style

    August 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.