Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Copito de Nieve, el gorila albino que vivió en el Zoo de Barcelona durante 36 años

    August 22, 2026

    Rays To Activate Manuel Rodríguez

    August 22, 2026

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers waste brilliant start in loss to Elks (& 10 other thoughts)

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Mexico»Mexico’s military rescue brigade barred from Colombia
    Mexico

    Mexico’s military rescue brigade barred from Colombia

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 13, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Mexico's military rescue brigade barred from Colombia
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Sheinbaum’s mañanera in 60 seconds

    • 🇨🇴 Mexican rescue brigade denied entry to Colombia: Sheinbaum clarified that, contrary to what she said Wednesday, the Mexican Army’s rescue brigade has not actually traveled to Colombia to assist the earthquake response, as the new government of President de la Espriella requested a certification it does not have. It remains ready to deploy.
    • 📦 Aid still flowing: Despite the rescue brigade holdup, Mexico is sending 58.5 tonnes of humanitarian aid to Colombia via Air Force flights this week.
    • 📰 Sheinbaum rejects PAN’s “right of reply” bill: Asked about opposition legislation seeking airtime to respond to statements made at the mañanera, Sheinbaum said the conference is “the people’s space” and that political parties should create their own spaces.
    • 📱 SIM card registration deadline looms: Saturday, Aug. 15 is the deadline for prepaid phone numbers ending in 0 to be linked to a verified identity. Sheinbaum said linking SIM cards to identities will help authorities investigate phone-based extortion.

    Why today’s mañanera matters 

    At her Thursday morning press conference, President Claudia Sheinbaum revealed that the government of Colombia had not approved the entry of Mexican military personnel to assist the response to the earthquake on Monday that toppled buildings in various cities and towns in the South American country.

    Reuters reported on Thursday morning that the death toll from the quake had risen to 265, according to the latest figures released by President Abelardo de la Espriella. “Authorities also reported 3,494 injured and 496 missing, as emergency teams continue searching for survivors in the rubble,” the news agency wrote.

    Had the earthquake occurred during the presidency of Gustavo Petro, whose four-year term ended last week, rescue personnel from the Mexican military would likely have entered Colombia without any problem. Sheinbaum and Petro developed a close working relationship and are of the same political persuasion. In contrast, the new Colombian president was recently described by France 24 as a “far-right Trump fan.”

    Even with Mexico’s official military brigade barred from entry, Colombians are receiving Mexican help in their rescue efforts, as independent volunteer groups such as the Topos are in the country, reportedly without official permission. (Pedro Anza / Cuartoscuro.com) /

    Also of note at today’s mañanera was Sheinbaum’s response to a “right of reply” bill presented by the National Action Party (PAN).

    El Heraldo de México reported on Wednesday that the bill aims to “regulate” Sheinbaum’s mañaneras via the issuance of a new law called the Social Communication Law for the Federal Executive Power. The draft law, El Heraldo reported, seeks to “guarantee the right of reply” for citizens who are “slandered” during the president’s weekday press conferences.

    Mexican military personnel denied entry to Colombia 

    At the start of her press conference, Sheinbaum noted that she said on Wednesday that a brigade of Mexican Army rescuers had traveled to Colombia to assist the response to the 7.4 magnitude earthquake that struck the South American country on Monday.

    She clarified that the brigade had not in fact traveled to Colombia.

    “They asked for certification,” Sheinbaum said, referring to the government of Colombia, led since last Friday by President de la Espriella.

    She said that the Mexican Army rescue brigade “is certified” but the Colombian government is asking for “another certification.”

    “… To clarify, the rescue brigade of the National Defense Ministry was not approved by the government of Colombia. It is ready to leave at any time,” Sheinbaum said.

    She reiterated that Mexico is sending humanitarian aid to Colombia. Sheinbaum said on Wednesday that the Mexican Air Force would deliver a total of 58.5 tonnes of Mexican aid, including food, medicine and other essential goods, to the South American country this week.

    Sheinbaum: Political parties ‘should create their own information space’

    A reporter asked the president about the “right of reply” bill put forward by the PAN, Mexico’s main opposition party.

    “What they argue in their bill is [that they should] have the same space, with the same dissemination as the mañanera,” the reporter said.

    “… They want their right of reply [to statements made at the mañanera] in a space with the same ratings. Will the president’s office be open to this?” she asked.

    Sheinbaum responded that “everyone has their own space.”

    “This is a space for the people,” she said.

    The president had some advice for Mexicans wondering what to do if their cell phones are cut off for not complying with the resgistration requirement: “They can recover their line simply by registering.” (Unsplash)

    “It’s the mañanera of the people. It’s a space where the government of Mexico exercises the responsibility to inform the people,” Sheinbaum said.

    “If people watch us it’s because they like the mañanera,” she said. “If they didn’t like it, they wouldn’t watch us.”

    Sheinbaum noted that the mañanera — transmitted every weekday from 7:30 a.m. — is one of the most watched live programs on social media.

    “This has to do with the way in which we inform … [and] that the people are attentive,” she said.

    “A political party can do it as well. They have their right to do so, but each in their own space,” Sheinbaum said.

    “… This is the space for the mañanera of the people. If the PAN, the PRI or even Morena wants to have their own space, they should create their own information space,” she said.

    “If they don’t have [good] ratings, well, what are we going to do?”

    The first deadline to register pre-paid cell phones is this Saturday

    A reporter asked the president whether cell phone lines would be cut off this Saturday, as Aug. 15 is the deadline for people with pre-paid numbers ending in 0 to link their personal identity to their number. Pre-paid cell phone users can do so by completing a registration process with their telephone companies.

    The reporter said that some 8 million people haven’t yet registered their pre-paid cell phones.

    Sheinbaum said that anyone whose telephone service is cut can “recover their line simply by registering.”

    “Why was this done? … One of the problems we have in some entities of the republic is extortion. … A lot of these threats are made by telephone,” she said.

    Sheinbaum said that having pre-paid phones linked to people’s identity will assist authorities in their investigations into telephone extortion.

    “… We’re one of the few countries in the world, maybe the only one, where a SIM card is not linked to a person. So what is being asked? That when you buy a SIM card … you provide your identity in order to take care of each other,” she said.

    Cell phone registration Parties want their own mañanera Sticky Topos standing by
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Mexico

    Missed the deadline? Here’s how to get your cell ervice back

    August 21, 2026
    Mexico

    Mexico’s urban sprawl is steadily reshaping life in its biggest cities

    August 21, 2026
    Mexico

    10 relfections after a Mexico summer internship

    August 21, 2026
    Mexico

    Despite surging peso, further interest rate cuts unlikely

    August 21, 2026
    Mexico

    El Jalapeño: Mexico City officials petition Nobel Peace Prize committee on behalf of conchas

    August 21, 2026
    Mexico

    Extradited Navy offficer accused of fuel-trafficking arrives In Mexico

    August 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Copito de Nieve, el gorila albino que vivió en el Zoo de Barcelona durante 36 años

    News DeskAugust 22, 20260

    No fue el día de su nacimiento, pero la historia de Copito de Nieve empezó…

    Rays To Activate Manuel Rodríguez

    August 22, 2026

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers waste brilliant start in loss to Elks (& 10 other thoughts)

    August 22, 2026

    U.S. imposes 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products : NPR

    August 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Travel Leaders Network: Listening, evaluating and helping members meet their needs

    August 7, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026

    Timothée Chalamet Absent From Kylie Jenner’s Birthday Bash

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Copito de Nieve, el gorila albino que vivió en el Zoo de Barcelona durante 36 años

    August 22, 2026

    Rays To Activate Manuel Rodríguez

    August 22, 2026

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers waste brilliant start in loss to Elks (& 10 other thoughts)

    August 22, 2026

    U.S. imposes 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products : NPR

    August 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Copito de Nieve, el gorila albino que vivió en el Zoo de Barcelona durante 36 años

    August 22, 2026

    Rays To Activate Manuel Rodríguez

    August 22, 2026

    Winnipeg Blue Bombers waste brilliant start in loss to Elks (& 10 other thoughts)

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.