Jon Stewart is the latest TV personality to weigh in on CBS’s shocking decision to cancel The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. He didn’t hold back, blasting the network for the move and also for ruining 60 Minutes. Keep reading for all the details on his shocking comments.
Jon Stewart Trashes CBS For Canceling Colbert
CBS announced last year that it had canceled Stephen Colbert’s late-night talk show. The Late Show with Stephen Colbert goes off the air after one final show on Thursday, May 21. In the weeks leading up to the finale, he welcomed a star-studded list of guests.
His guests in the last few weeks to say their final goodbyes included former President Obama, Bette Midler, and David Letterman, among many others. Jon Stewart joined his pal this week ahead of the final episode.
The two worked together for several years on Comedy Central’s The Daily Show. Jon Stewart left the show in 2015 but returned in 2024 during the Presidential election. He brought a throwback photo from their time together on the show nearly 30 years ago. But that wasn’t all he brought.
Jon Stewart brought his sharp humor and unfiltered sarcasm that fans love so much. “What upsets me about this situation is that first of all you’re just a tremendous human and one of my favorite people. And second of all that I’ve seen your talents from Exit 57 to Strangers With Candy to writing,” he told Stephen Colbert.

The Daily Show host shared advice he got from David Letterman after MTV canceled The Jon Stewart Show in 1995 after two seasons. “He said, ‘Don’t confuse cancellation with failure.’”
Stephen Colbert took over The Late Show after David Letterman retired.
Reacts To Changes At 60 Minutes, Evening News Programs
Jon Stewart took CBS to task for canceling Stephen Colbert’s late-night talk show. But he didn’t stop there. He blasted the network for ruining its news division. Both 60 Minutes and CBS Evening News underwent huge changes after CBS’s parent company, Paramount Global, merged with Skydance Media.
The merger went through just weeks after CBS announced they were canceling Colbert’s show. While they claimed the decision was financial, many people believe it was a condition of the government approving the merger.
The ratings for 60 Minutes and CBS Evening News have declined significantly amid the changes. “I just think it’s so smart what CBS is doing. I just think it’s such a good move to take this show off the air and then also ruin your evening news and then reduce 60 Minutes to, like, six good ones,” Jon Stewart quipped sarcastically.
Like many of Stephen Colbert’s final guests, Jon Stewart brought a gift. He brought a set of recliner chairs for them to sit in. The chairs came in handy when he revealed one more gift – Grammy-winning singer Andra Day performed “Rise Up” as Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert watched from the chairs.
Tell us in the comments if you agree with Jon Stewart trashing CBS for canceling Colbert.
