Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Despite surging peso, further interest rate cuts unlikely

    August 21, 2026

    Blueface Says Javaughn, Journey Replaced

    August 21, 2026

    Gouiri at the double as Marseille hammer 10-man Strasbourg

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, August 21
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Politics & Opinion»ES Politics»Spain grants ageing nuclear plant three-year extension amid Middle East crisis
    ES Politics

    Spain grants ageing nuclear plant three-year extension amid Middle East crisis

    News DeskBy News DeskAugust 14, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Spain grants ageing nuclear plant three-year extension amid Middle East crisis
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    ONE of Spain’s biggest nuclear power plants will keep running until at least 2030, officials said, as the Middle East crisis fuels uncertainty in global energy markets.

    Two reactors at the Almaraz plant in Caceres, western Spain, had been due to begin shutting down in 2027 and 2028, but will now remain operational until June 8, 2030.

    The government said the decision was necessary because the conflict in the Middle East has disrupted global energy markets, driving up gas prices and creating uncertainty over fossil fuel supplies.

    Officials said keeping Almaraz open would help shield consumers from unexpected spikes in energy prices while reducing Spain’s reliance on gas-fired power generation.

    READ MORE: Mountaineers find over a tonne of rubbish dumped in a cave in Spain’s protected Picos de Europa National Park

    The extension was approved by the Ministry for Ecological Transition after Spain’s nuclear safety watchdog gave the plant a favourable assessment last month.

    The Nuclear Safety Council said the facility meets the necessary safety requirements to continue operating, so long as it continues to comply with nuclear and radiation protection measures.

    The plant’s two reactors, located in Extremadura, were originally scheduled to close on November 1, 2027, and October 31, 2028, respectively.

    The decision was welcomed by the plant’s three owners – Iberdrola, Endesa and Naturgy – which formally requested an extension last year.

    The companies had initially considered seeking a 10-year extension, but ultimately settled on keeping the reactors open until 2030.

    The government said the move would not alter Spain’s wider plan to phase out nuclear power, with the country’s remaining reactors still scheduled to shut down by 2035.

    It also insisted the extension would come at no additional cost to taxpayers, with no tax cuts or financial compensation being offered to the plant’s owners.

    The government said extending Almaraz would have only a limited impact on the expansion of renewable energy, while also helping to reduce natural gas generation.

    Nuclear power currently accounts for around one-fifth of Spain’s electricity generation, according to government figures.

    Almaraz alone produces roughly 7% of the country’s annual electricity demand – enough to supply around four million homes.

    The plant also prevents an estimated six million tonnes of CO2 emissions from entering the atmosphere each year, according to its operator.

    READ MORE: EXCLUSIVE: ‘It may have been the best one of my life’: American eclipse-hunter recounts Wednesday’s once-in-a-century celestial event in northern Spain

    However, the decision has sparked a political row within Spain’s left-wing coalition.

    Sumar, the junior partner in prime minister Pedro Sanchez’s government, has rejected the extension and accused Sanchez’s socialist PSOE party of breaking their coalition agreement.

    Environmental groups have also criticised the move, arguing that keeping the ageing plant open could undermine Spain’s transition towards renewable energy.

    The government, however, has described the extension as a temporary measure prompted by the ‘exceptional’ international energy situation.

    It insisted Spain remained committed to expanding renewable energy and maintaining its target of ending nuclear power generation by 2035.

    Click here to read more Business & Finance News from The Olive Press.

    almaraz Cáceres extremadura fuel Middle East news spain newspaper Nuclear power phase out plant power plant Renewable Energy The Olive Press
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    ES Politics

    Malaga beach closures leave ‘negative image’ abroad

    August 21, 2026
    ES Politics

    Sánchez has one year until Spain’s election deadline. The odds are against him. – POLITICO

    August 21, 2026
    US Science & Tech

    Apollo Atomics wants to make nuclear power cheaper by shrinking an overlooked part

    August 20, 2026
    ES Politics

    How could Reform’s EU benefits ban affect Brits in Spain?

    August 19, 2026
    ES Politics

    Brits in Spain face benefit threat under Reform UK plan

    August 18, 2026
    CA Politics

    U.S. consulate suspect neighbours against immigrants’ political beefs

    August 16, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Despite surging peso, further interest rate cuts unlikely

    News DeskAugust 21, 20260

    The Bank of Mexico adopted a guarded approach in its Aug. 6-7 monetary policy meeting,…

    Blueface Says Javaughn, Journey Replaced

    August 21, 2026

    Gouiri at the double as Marseille hammer 10-man Strasbourg

    August 21, 2026

    Cardinals Place Andre Pallante On Injured List

    August 21, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Travel Leaders Network: Listening, evaluating and helping members meet their needs

    August 7, 2026

    Guest post by Lorne Fitch: 20 reasons Albertans should be concerned about conservation

    August 7, 2026

    SOUND FIST: ALEX WARREN – RESCUER

    August 9, 2026

    ‘The Bachelorette’ Star’s Wife Slammed Mocking Severe Disorder

    August 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Despite surging peso, further interest rate cuts unlikely

    August 21, 2026

    Blueface Says Javaughn, Journey Replaced

    August 21, 2026

    Gouiri at the double as Marseille hammer 10-man Strasbourg

    August 21, 2026

    Cardinals Place Andre Pallante On Injured List

    August 21, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Despite surging peso, further interest rate cuts unlikely

    August 21, 2026

    Blueface Says Javaughn, Journey Replaced

    August 21, 2026

    Gouiri at the double as Marseille hammer 10-man Strasbourg

    August 21, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.