Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Expedia Group B2B looks to the future, introduces AI toolkit, partnerships

    May 22, 2026

    Cómo conseguir una entrada para los conciertos de Bad Bunny aunque estén agotadas

    May 22, 2026

    Trump immunity from IRS audit shocks experts, who warn it could undermine trust in tax system

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Select Language
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • Home
      • United States
      • Canada
      • Spain
      • Mexico
    • Top Countries
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • Spain
      • United States
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Health
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Travel
    NEWS ON CLICK
    Home»Top Countries»Canada»N.L. doctors fear app lets patients see ‘catastrophic’ medical results without support
    Canada

    N.L. doctors fear app lets patients see ‘catastrophic’ medical results without support

    News DeskBy News DeskMay 22, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    N.L. doctors fear app lets patients see 'catastrophic' medical results without support
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 4 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

    Physicians are calling for a change to prevent patients from receiving tragic medical news alone, without compassionate support from a health-care provider.

    They say a new N.L. Health Services app called MyChart is allowing patients to see “catastrophic” medical results before their doctor does.

    “We have heard stories of one woman who found out at night when she was checking the results of an ultrasound, not expecting to hear anything concerning, that she had miscarried her pregnancy,” said Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association president Dr. Cynthia Slade.

    “We are hearing about patients finding out they have cancer and their doctors not even having access to those reports. It’s creating a huge amount of anxiety for them and their families.”

    I do understand the concern. This is an evolving topic that we’ll continue to learn, continue to adjust, but I think the overall benefits of having this outweigh the risks.– NLHS interim CEO Ron Johnson

    The NLMA says these events could be less stressful if there was some time between when doctors and patients receive the results of medical tests.

    “If there was a delay, even a 24 to 48 hour delay, which wouldn’t compromise people’s access to information, it would provide better care, I believe,” said Slade.

    “Because that person’s physician could have read that, could have called that person ahead of time, and said ‘please come into the office’ and delivered the news in a compassionate way.”

    Slade says it’s also causing a lot of anxiety for physicians.

    “I spoke with a surgeon who said that at the end of her day she is now spending hours in the evening going through lab results and imaging results to make sure she is catching things before her patients do so she can reach out to them and let them know. So, it’s adding a huge amount of time to her day,” she said.

    Patients had access to their health information before the health authority’s new digital health information system, CorCare, went live last month, but the new patient information app that comes with it gives patients easier access to their medical records and test results.

    Slade says the medical association was calling for a delay to protect patients from getting difficult news alone before CorCare and MyChart were introduced.

    WATCH | Benefits outweigh the risks, says NLHS interim CEO:

    Medical results app delivering tough news before doctors can, says NLMA

    The president of the association representing doctors in the province says they’re hearing of patients getting medical information through an app before their doctors can speak with them. Meanwhile, N.L. Health Services says using the app is completely voluntary. CBC’s Mark Quinn reports.

    NLHS responds

    At a recent update on the launch of CorCare health authority’s leaders said they have also heard of cases of people getting bad news, like a cancer diagnosis, on their phones or computers but they say patient access to their health information does more good than harm.

    “By giving patients this type of information they can better control their own health care. They can prevent things from falling through the cracks. They can have the right conversations when they go see their providers, their physicians,” said NLHS interim CEO Ron Johnson.

    “I do understand the concern. This is an evolving topic that we’ll continue to learn and continue to adjust but I think the overall benefits of having this outweigh the risks.”

    Man in blue suit, sitting down in front of mic.
    Ron Johnson is the interim CEO of Newfoundland and Labrador Health Services. NLHS is the province’s health authority. (Mark Quinn/CBC)

    Johnson says it’s something patients have called for but it’s not mandatory.

    “This is optional. Patients choose to download the app and patients want this, in general, patients want this,” he said.

    The NLMA isn’t satisfied with that response.

    “If the message from NLHS is: If you think you are going to get bad news, don’t look up your results. Well, that’s not human nature. If you get a message saying that a result is available to you, human nature is that you are going to look it up,” said Slade.

    “It’s not about restricting people’s access to their results. We want people to have access. We want people to be strong advocates for themselves,” she said. “To be engaged with us as partners in their health-care plan but we want to do it with the appropriate context and we want to be compassionate and that’s really what we feel is missing here.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    News Desk
    • Website

    News Desk is the dedicated editorial force behind News On Click. Comprised of experienced journalists, writers, and editors, our team is united by a shared passion for delivering high-quality, credible news to a global audience.

    Related Posts

    Canada

    Supreme Court to weigh in on B.C. DRIPA legislation for the first time

    May 22, 2026
    Canada

    Call of the Wilde: Canadiens stun Hurricanes in dominant East final opener – Montreal

    May 22, 2026
    Canada

    Memorial Cup arrival sparks hockey fever in Kelowna

    May 22, 2026
    Canada

    North of 60 Project supports residents in Canada’s north

    May 22, 2026
    Canada

    Members of several First Nations searching for missing man in Thunder Bay, Ont.

    May 21, 2026
    Canada

    Advocacy groups calling on RCMP to release more information on guns used in Tumbler Ridge mass shooting

    May 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Expedia Group B2B looks to the future, introduces AI toolkit, partnerships

    News DeskMay 22, 20260

    Expedia Group B2B unveiled a new set of AI-powered products and partnerships that make it…

    Cómo conseguir una entrada para los conciertos de Bad Bunny aunque estén agotadas

    May 22, 2026

    Trump immunity from IRS audit shocks experts, who warn it could undermine trust in tax system

    May 22, 2026

    “I give little important to Joan Laporta’s words” – Real Madrid manager Alvaro Arbeloa

    May 22, 2026
    Tech news by Newsonclick.com
    Top Posts

    Ariana Grande Struggling Ahead of Tour Return

    May 22, 2026

    Why Liam Rosenior isn’t the only one to blame for Brighton horror show

    April 22, 2026

    IPL 2026: Aaron Finch questions Axar Patel for not completing his bowling quota in DC’s defeat to SRH

    April 22, 2026

    La tecnológica española M47 adquiere Loctory

    April 22, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Editors Picks

    Expedia Group B2B looks to the future, introduces AI toolkit, partnerships

    May 22, 2026

    Cómo conseguir una entrada para los conciertos de Bad Bunny aunque estén agotadas

    May 22, 2026

    Trump immunity from IRS audit shocks experts, who warn it could undermine trust in tax system

    May 22, 2026

    “I give little important to Joan Laporta’s words” – Real Madrid manager Alvaro Arbeloa

    May 22, 2026
    About Us

    NewsOnClick.com is your reliable source for timely and accurate news. We are committed to delivering unbiased reporting across politics, sports, entertainment, technology, and more. Our mission is to keep you informed with credible, fact-checked content you can trust.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Expedia Group B2B looks to the future, introduces AI toolkit, partnerships

    May 22, 2026

    Cómo conseguir una entrada para los conciertos de Bad Bunny aunque estén agotadas

    May 22, 2026

    Trump immunity from IRS audit shocks experts, who warn it could undermine trust in tax system

    May 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Editorial Policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    © 2026 Newsonclick.com || Designed & Powered by ❤️ Trustmomentum.com.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.